Buhari jets off to Plateau state over killings

By Editor on 26/06/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 574

Buhari
Buhari

Distressed by recent killings of over 200 people by suspected herdsmen in 11 communities of Gashish and Ropp Districts of Plateau state, President Muhammadu Buhari has left Cross River for the troubled state.

 President Buhari was in Cross River on Tuesday to commission a multibillion Naira automated rice seed and seedlings factory in Calabar.

He immediately left the state amidst heavy downpour through the Margaret Ekpo International Airport to Jos to access the security situation and pay condolence to those affected in the killings.

The President had expressed regret over the killings, describing the incident as “very painful and regrettable”.

“The grievous loss of lives and property arising from the killing in Plateau today is painful and regrettable.

“My deepest condolences to the affected communities. We will not rest until all murderers and criminal elements and their sponsors are incapacitated and brought to justice,” he stated.

ThenewsGuru recalls that the Police Command in Plateau had on Sunday confirmed the killing of 86 people in attacks on Razat, Ruku, Nyarr, Kura and Gana-Ropp villages of Gashish District in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area of the state.

The command had earlier said that only 11 persons were killed.

ASP Terna Tyopev, the command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO) confirmed the new figure to the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Jos.

Tyopey said: “Sequel to the attack in Gashish District of Barkin Ladi local government area, the Commissioner of Police, Mr Undie Adie after deploying more personnel to the District sent a search and rescue team from the command Headquarters for an on-the-spot assessment .

“The team headed by ACP Edeh John of the Department of Operations also had the DPO of Barkin Ladi Division and a Unit Commander from Mopol 38.

“After a careful search of the villages attacked in the district, it was discovered that 86 persons all together were killed and six severely injured

“Fifty houses, two cars and 15 motorcycles were completely burnt down.”

The Plateau Government had since announced a dusk to dawn curfew in Riyom, Barkin Ladi and Jos South local government areas to check possible breakdown of law and order in the state.

Meanwhile, death toll in Plateau attacks is said to have risen to over 200 as tension continues to mount across the country following the killings in the north central state.

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin has authorized the deployment of additional Special Forces to Plateau State to beef up the strength of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH).

The additional troops, who arrived Jos, capital of Plateau State on Monday were received and briefed by the Commander OPSH, Major General AM Atolagbe on their new assignment.

A statement from the defence spokes person, Brigadier General John Agim said “the Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to assure all law abiding citizens of Plateau state of their safety.”

The statement also said misguided youths “who have offered themselves to be used as thugs are hereby warned that anyone apprehended will receive the full weight of the law.”

“Herdsmen and farmers are also warned not to take laws into their hands; rather suspected persons should be reported promptly to security agencies.” The statement said.

Vice President Yemi Osibanjo, on Monday, visited the state.

Osibanjo, who was in the state to assess the situation and interact with leaders in the state, said perpetrators of the heinous crime would not only be arrested but be made to face justice.

He said that Special Forces have been deployed to restore peace in the state.

“The Inspector General of Police has deployed more personnel to Plateau and the Chief of Defence Staff has announced this morning that Special Forces will be deployed to Plateau.

“The Special Forces would complement the Operation Safe Haven’s effort that has been keeping peace in the state,” he said.

The vice president expressed sadness over the development.

“The president has said in his statement that whatever it takes, those that committed the heinous crime will not only be arrested but made to publicly face justice,” he said.

He said that the Federal Government was taken aback because in the last three years, Plateau had become an example of how to restore peace.

Osibanjo urged all leaders to show restraint in what they say and do.

According to him, the leaders should avoid things that would create situations that would be beyond control.

Gov Simon Lalong, in an address, condoled with the families of those who lost loved ones and property.

Lalong said that he was particularly sad with the development because when he came on board, the Beroms and Fulanis signed a pact and made some recommendations on how to stay and live together.

According to him, some of the recommendations are being worked on to be passed into law.

He thanked the Federal Government for the prompt intervention and expressed optimism that the Federal Government would help the state to restore peace in the state.

Posted 26/06/2018 5:08:45 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Plateau shocker: Herdsmen rename communities grabbed from indigenes...

‘If the President condones disrespect, I will not,’...

Buhari receives FIFA World Cup Trophy, Super Eagles,...

Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum...

Defections: APC lacks legislative votes to impeach Saraki,...

US-based Anambra businessman, James Okolo, loses N33m to...

Gov Obiano’s aide found dead in his room...

NNPC, NPA, FIRS, others failed to remit N526bn,...

Ekiti APC secretariat sealed with Juju

Defection crisis: I’ll remain in PDP, Ortom insists...

Court dismisses FG’s suit seeking forfeiture of accounts...

Taraba State Commissioner of Police, David Akinremi, on...

 

Latest News What we did to save aid worker from Boko Haram execution --FG 2019: INEC insists APC won’t be allowed to field candidates in Zamfara I’ll be at EFCC today with my bedclothes, pillowcase – Fayose Presidency ordered EFCC to detain Fayose indefinitely – PDP alleges Boko Haram executes second aide worker Obi: Why the South East Leaders are angry EFCC seizes gold worth N1.1 billion at Abuja airport Foreign travel ban: Buhari resorts to dictatorship since Atiku’s emergence as candidate – PDP 2019: Atiku picks Peter Obi as running mate All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate Defections: Why we suspended impeachment moves against Saraki, Ekweremadu – Senate Leader Deadline on Leah Sharibu: Religious leaders appeal to abductors

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,842 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,279 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,085 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (4,557 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,469 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,723 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,456 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,446 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,405 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,390 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,382 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,334 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (497) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (362) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (210) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (15) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands