Police arraign neuropsychiatric worker for fraud in Enugu

By Editor on 14/07/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 546


THE police, Thursday, told an Enugu State High Court how a senior staff of the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Enugu, Mrs. Stella Achalla, allegedly defrauded job seekers to the tune of N14m.

Achalla who is the secretary to the Chief Medical Director is standing trial before Justice C. O. Ajah of Enugu High Court for advanced fee fraud.

In the charge No. E/197C/2017, she was accused of collecting money from over 50 job seekers, after which she failed to offer them the promised job.

At the resumed hearing, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), Chinyere Okeke, was led in evidence by the prosecuting counsel, Barr. Njoku Umeh.

Okeke told the court that upon receiving complaints from the victims of the alleged fraud, the police obtained a court warrant, with which the defendant’s house was searched. She said the search led to the discovery of several appointment letters and other items in the defendant’s house.

“We recovered so many appointment letters, both signed and unsigned ones in the house of suspect.

“Those documents are supposed to be in the admin’s office where they keep files and documents, not in the personal house of the suspect who is not even the admin,” she said adding that curriculum vitae (cv) and credentials belonging to some of the complainants were also recovered during the raid.

The IPO equally tendered before the court, a recorded audio conversation between the embattled hospital staff and one of the complainants, Mrs. Stella Egotanwa.

Also giving evidence before the court, Egotanwa, who is the Prosecution Witness 2, said she first of all gave the defendant N300,000 for employment, after which she equally introduced some of her friends to her, having thought that the deal was genuine.

“She told me to collect money from other people who are interested, which I did, and every money I collected was given to her. “I introduced all the other complainants to her. She gave them instruction to give the monies to me, for onward delivery to her. I paid her N300,000 in September 2014 for my own job, which never came.

"The last money I collected and gave to her was in 2016.

“She kept promising, and was blaming the delay on long strike they had in the hospital. Around April last year, I felt so frustrated as the other complainants were also disturbing me.

“So, I had a recorded telephone conversation with the defendant because I started suspecting foul play.”

The case was adjourned to October 19, 2018 for continuation of evidence of prosecution witnesses.

Posted 14/07/2018 08:17:42 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
SARAKI: I am considering running against Buhari in...

Nigerian Senate suspends Pro-Buhari Senator

Defections: Why we suspended impeachment moves against Saraki,...

Why I married Atiku – Titi Abubakar

Nigerian Military raises alarm over Malicious Rape Report...

National Assembly panel cuts INEC polls budget by...

Why Enugu, Anambra get poor power supply ---EEDC...

Herdsmen kill over 50 in coordinated attacks on...

Obanikoro, Omisore recover passports from EFCC, ex-minister returns...

Fani-Kayode reveals what Buhari allegedly did in UK,...

Why I’m calling for Buhari’s resignation – Sheik...

Militants kill around 100 Nigerian soldiers in attack...

 

Latest News Buhari signs peace pact as Atiku claims he was denied invitation Dozie Ikedife is dead, to be buried today Man, 35, commits suicide after strangling his four children to death Ugwuanyi bags Grassroots Development Governor of the Year award 11 Nigerian Soldiers face Court Martial over indiscipline PDP condemns EFCC invasion of Atiku’s sons’ residence 2019: Atiku, Obi, Saraki, Secondus, others listed for arrest – PDP PDP has looted Nigeria’s destiny – Fashola No solutions to Nigeria’s problems – Bishop Kukah Buhari writes Senate, explains why he refused assent to Electoral Bill Having sex in car not a crime, Nigeria Police affirm INEC dares Buhari, rules out incident forms in 2019 elections

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,215 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,924 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,624 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,092 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,000 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,134 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,946 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,935 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,863 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,861 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,849 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,812 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (703) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (396) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (231) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (18) ENTERTAINMENT (8) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands