Army, others in show of force over IPOB sit-at-home order

By Editor on 13/09/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 747


A detachment of the police, army, navy and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps on Wednesday embarked on a show of force on major streets in Umuahia.

The show of force is an apparent response to the September 14 stay-at-home directive, issued by the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB).

The security operatives showed their presence in full force in the Abia capital with residents of the city watching in amazement.

A long motorcade of the operatives, took off from the Umuahia Central Police Station and drove through Garki to Ossah Road to Michael Okpara Square through the Abia Tower back to the CPS through Bank Road to Afara community in Umuahia.

The IPOB leader, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, is from Afara community.

Addressing newsmen at the end of the exercise, the Abia Commissioner of Police, Mr Anthony Ogbizi, said that the security agencies would invoke the anti-terrorism law to deal with any attempt by IPOB to cause breach of public peace in the state.

Ogbizi said the show of force was to demonstrate the collective resolve by the security agencies to contain any attempt by the group to put the anti-terrorism law to test.

“Our coming together is a signal of our resolve to confront any event that may rear its ugly head before, during and after Sept. 14.

“IPOB has been proscribed by the Federal Government and there are many laws in place.

“The group should not dare the law because we shall apply the rule of engagement in dealing with it.”

The commissioner said that the activities of IPOB in Abia last year could have plunged the nation into serious security crisis.

He said that it took the combined intervention of all the security agencies in the state to put the tension brought by the group under control.

The police chief said that the police command had recorded an incident in Aba, where Improvised Explosive Device, was used to attack some people.

He said that the incident was still being investigated and that the command was on the trail of those that produced the device.

Ogbizi said the security agencies were determined to ensure adequate security for lives and property, urging members of the public to go about their businesses without fear of molestation.

He, however, advised parents, religious and community leaders to assist security agencies in discouraging their people from engaging in acts capable of threatening the prevailing peace in Abia.

The Commander of the 14 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Ohafia, Brig.-Gen. Abubakar Ibrahim, said that Abia remained one of the safest states in the country.

Ibrahim advised residents to remain law abiding and to also take steps to sustain peace in the area.

He enjoined security operatives deployed to Abia to maintain peace and to relate harmoniously with one another in the course of their duties.

Posted 13/09/2018 07:28:07 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Melaye, Kwankwaso, 13 other Senators defect tto PDP...

7,000 delegates affirm Buhari as presidential candidate at...

INEC declares Umeh winner of Anambra Central Senatorial...

Offa Bank Robbery: Saraki has Case to Answer...

LG polls: PDP accuses Plateau government of “creating...

Buhari, Cabals unhappy with Osinbajo over sack of...

Melaye remains senator as INEC confirms failure of...

Anambra election: Fake electoral officer nabbed at INEC...

Buhari halts campaign for 2019 presidency

No 2019 campaigns in Benue till herdsmen crisis...

Sultan knocks Ortom, Fani-Kayode for linking herdsmen killings...

Don’t consume imported rice – Lai Mohammed tells...

 

Latest News EFCC Abuja office goes up in flames 2019 : I-G warns Commissioners of Police, others against partisanship Atiku vows to create 12 million jobs if elected President Eid-el-Maulud: Buhari, Saraki, Ugwuanyi, Okowa, others felicitate with Muslims Why service chiefs ‘appeared’ at Buhari’s campaign launch – Presidency Nigeria cannot survive another 4 years under Buhari, Buhari loses $2.8bn GE Investment US gives $453,568 to 45 Nigeria Civic Organizations Atiku unveils plan for presidential campaign INEC confirms Tambuwal as Sokoto PDP guber candidate Why I married Atiku – Titi Abubakar Atiku kicks off presidential campaign Monday Infrastructure: Buhari laying foundation for economic growth, says Fashola

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,082 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,701 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,426 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (4,894 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,788 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,979 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,762 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,719 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,707 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,678 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,665 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,648 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (620) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (386) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (227) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (16) ENTERTAINMENT (8) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands