Buhari’s body double suspicion that won’t go away

By Editor on 28/11/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 400


Beware of what you consume on social media. That space is a theatre of the absurd. From matters of no consequence to serious issues, when trends break on social media, one is guaranteed an inventive spin of all shades. This has given birth    . to one of the latest entries into the social media lexicon, which is Fake News.

Each trend and ‘Breaking News’ has its fake news version but usually, as with all things news, they have a short lifespan. The longest of them in recent times was the controversy that trailed President Muhammadu Buhari’s secondary school leaving examination certificate, which lasted for about a fortnight.

But one ‘Breaking News’ or ‘Fake News’ that has refused to go away after many weeks is the story of President Buhari’s body double conspiracy theory, one Jibril Aminu from Sudan, which is spreading like wide fire. What started as a gossip shared in hushed whispers has gained so much traction strong enough to elicit official reactions.

It was a story that broke on the clandestine medium, Radio Biafra, propagated by its promoter and leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, who earlier this month resurfaced in Israel many months after he was missing in action during the military’s Operation Python Dance in his home state of Abia.

Kanu has consistently asserted that there is an imposter in Aso Rock, Nigeria’s seat of power, with threats to expose how Jibril Aminu was transformed to replace ‘dead Buhari’ in London. He alludes that Jibril resembles Buhari except for a cleft ear, broad nose bridge and teenager fresh hands.

He further claimed that the Nigerian diplomat who was murdered in Sudan on May 10, 2018, Habibu Almu, was killed over his alleged involvement in the recruitment of Jibril. The IPOB leader, who promised to shock Nigerians with his revelation of how Jubril was transformed to replace ‘dead Buhari’, while sympathizing with the family of the deceased, urged the Sudanese police to uncover the killers of Almu.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs according to its spokesperson, Dr. Tope Elias-Fatile, at the time had disclosed that the Nigerian immigration attaché, Almu, was murdered in Khartoum, Sudan by a Sudanese woman of Nigerian origin.

Reacting to the allegation of an impostor in Aso Rock, the Personal Assistant to President Buhari on Social Media, Lauretta Onochie, said the intelligence of some Nigerians has been insulted by the outrageous lies that the president is a body double, taking a swipe at Femi Fani-Kayode, who also shares the same opinion with Kanu.

Yesterday, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) posted online, ‘President Buhari cancels his planned five-day ‘casual leave’ as a mark of respect for victims of Boko Haram attacks across the battlefields in the North-east zone of the country.’ Someone immediately posted: ‘Buhari or Jibril, which one? We play too much in this country. Buhari has been on technical leave since 2015, now Jibril is going on casual leave.’

Another quipped: “I am beginning to believe this Jibril story because the difference between the original Buhari and Jibril Aminu is so glaring. The body language of the real Buhari was said to work wonders like longer electricity supply and scaring potential looters, but we can’t say the same of this new Buhari.”

The Jibril story travelled like the speed of light when in the heat of the crisis rocking the All Progressives Congress (APC) after its primaries held, some leaders of the party began to vent their anger and speak in innuendos. Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha, was reported to have said: “If I say what I know about APC, Nigerians will burn down Aso Rock within 24 hours,” while governor of Ogun State, Ibikunle Amosun was rumoured to have said: “If APC provokes me again, I will tell the whole world what we were cooking that got the house burnt.”

But weighing in on the story, Shehu Sani, the Senator representing Kaduna Central reacting on his Twitter page, discarded such report, saying Buhari has no ‘double’. The Kaduna lawmaker urged Nigerians to see ‘Jibrin’ as an imaginative character.Sani wrote: “There’s no one and nothing like Jibril El Sudan. Buhari ‘Caesar’ is healthy and has no double. But you can literally refer to Jibrin as an imaginative and mythical character in Shakespearean Nigeria. It is natural to creatively invent characters and promote conjectures in our theatre of the absurd.”

While some Nigerians have helped in amplifying the rumour, using posts and comments to express their belief and disbelief in a ‘cloned’ Buhari, others have been cropping and magnifying recent pictures of the president in comparison with 2016/2017 images when the president was sick and feeble.

It would be recalled that after initially spending over 50 days on medical vacation in London, the president had in May 2017 returned to the United Kingdom, for follow-up medical check-up where he stayed longer than three months.

Those who buy the Jibril narrative fuss that since the last medical extended vacation, it was a young-looking, somewhat shorter Buhari that is in Aso Rock. The issue received some fuel last Saturday when former President Olusegun Obasanjo urged Buhari to “do the needful and stop inadvertently giving credence to the story.”

At the installation of Peoples Democratic Party’s presidential aspirant, Atiku Abubakar, as Turakin Adamawa, he said: “No matter how long we choose to feign ignorance, the news of a stranger running the affairs of Nigeria has gained international attention.”I have in the past few weeks received calls from different world leaders and some concerned global investors who sought for my response over this issue which is currently being talked about in almost every home in the country.

“Fake news is real, but this story, whether false or true can only be put to rest by the accused who happens to be President Muhammadu Buhari. In 2010, many of you, I believe, still remember how it was rumoured that I was shot dead by assassins. The news understandably went viral immediately, and on learning about it, I came out and said I was alive and well.”

Posted 28/11/2018 8:03:53 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Labour suspends strike, tripartite panel submits report to...

Anambra election: Fake electoral officer nabbed at INEC...

Tambuwal missing on INEC list of governorship candidates...

FG orders probe of N’ASS invasion

Ekweremadu threatens to release CCTV to ridicule Police...

DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech

Benue former speaker, others lose bid to vacate...

8 APC govs to attend Nwoye’s guber campaign...

Decongestion: FG frees 951 prison inmates, as 430...

CJ Directs Judges to Conclude Pre-election Cases by...

N2bn fraud: Arrest ex-pension boss now, Sagay, Falana...

BREAKING: DSS, police occupy Saraki, Ekweremadu’s houses

 

Latest News Buhari signs peace pact as Atiku claims he was denied invitation Dozie Ikedife is dead, to be buried today Man, 35, commits suicide after strangling his four children to death Ugwuanyi bags Grassroots Development Governor of the Year award 11 Nigerian Soldiers face Court Martial over indiscipline PDP condemns EFCC invasion of Atiku’s sons’ residence 2019: Atiku, Obi, Saraki, Secondus, others listed for arrest – PDP PDP has looted Nigeria’s destiny – Fashola No solutions to Nigeria’s problems – Bishop Kukah Buhari writes Senate, explains why he refused assent to Electoral Bill Having sex in car not a crime, Nigeria Police affirm INEC dares Buhari, rules out incident forms in 2019 elections

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,221 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,932 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,634 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,097 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,008 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,139 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,949 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,941 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,875 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,867 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,855 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,819 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (703) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (396) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (231) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (18) INTERNATIONAL (30) ENTERTAINMENT (8) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands