Order Attorney-General to bring me back to Nigeria – Diezani begs Court

By Tony Edike on 04/10/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 725

Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke
Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke

A former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, has urged the Federal High Court in Lagos to compel the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) to bring her back to Nigeria from the United Kingdom, where she travelled to shortly after leaving office in 2015.

She said she would like to appear in court in Nigeria to defend a criminal charge bordering on alleged laundering of N450m, where her name was mentioned.

The main defendants in the charge are a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Dele Belgore; and a former Minister of National Planning, Prof. Abubakar Suleiman.

Belgore and Suleiman were charged before Justice Rilwan Aikawa for allegedly collecting N450m from Diezani and laundering same in the build-up to the 2015 general elections.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which filed the charges, claimed that the N450m was part of a sum of $115m which Diezani allegedly doled out to compromise the 2015 general elections.

The SAN and the professor were arraigned on five counts, wherein Diezani’s name was mentioned, but she was declared as being “at large.”

At the resumed proceedings in the case on Tuesday, one Obinna Onya, a lawyer from Abuja, appeared before Justice Aikawa with an application seeking the joining of Diezani as one of the defendants in the charge.

The application, filed pursuant to Section 36(1),(5),(6 (a)-(e) of the Constitution and sections 216 (1) (2) (3) (4); and 217 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, sought an amendment to the charges against Belgore and Suleiman, so as to join Diezani as one of the defendants.

The lawyer contended that contrary to the declaration by the EFCC that Diezani was at large, the former minister was in the UK and was willing to return to Nigeria so that she could appear in court to take her plea and defend the charges..

The lawyer argued that since Diezani’s name had been mentioned in the charge, it would be against her right to fair hearing for the case to proceed without affording her the opportunity to defend herself.

“The statement made by the prosecution means that the applicant (Diezani) is going to be convicted without being given the opportunity to defend herself,” Onya told Justice Aikawa.

The application prayed for an order “mandating the Attorney General of the Federation, being the agent of the complainant, to facilitate the prompt appearance of the applicant in court on the next adjourned date, to take her plea and to defend the allegations made against her in counts 1, 2,3 and 4 of the charge, numbered FHC/L/35c/2017.”

Onya urged Justice Aikawa to hear and determine the application before proceeding with the case on Tuesday.

But the prosecuting counsel for the EFCC, Rotimi Oyedepo, opposed him, saying the application was not ripe for hearing, as he had yet to be served.

However, Onya told the court that he had attempted to serve Oyedepo on Tuesday morning on the court premises but that the prosecutor declined, adding that his effort to serve the application at the EFCC office on Friday was also frustrated.

But Oyedepo advised him to go and serve the application at the registry of the EFCC, assuring him that the application would be accepted.

Responding, Justice Aikawa said the court could not entertain the application until all the parties had been properly served.

Meanwhile, the trial proceeded with the second witness for the EFCC, Usman Zakari, continuing his testimony.

Through the witness, Oyedepo tendered two letters written to the EFCC in relation to the case Standard Charted Bank Nigeria Limited and Guaranty Trust Bank.

The court admitted the two letters as exhibits in evidence against the defendants.

Justice Aikawa adjourned till Wednesday, October 4 for continuation of trial.

In the charges, Sulaiman, a professor of Political Science and International Relations at the University of Abuja; and Belgore, a former governorship aspirant in Kwara State, were accused of conspiring between themselves to commit the offence on March 27, 2015.

The duo were accused of making a cash transaction of N450m on March 27, 2015, without going through any financial institution.

But they pleaded “not guilty” to the charges

Source The Advocate

Posted 04/10/2017 07:10:58 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Man impregnates, weds Teen Sister In Anambra

Ekweremadu: Fight corruption, stop hounding our members, PDP...

We were embarrassed in Jerusalem, says Clergy

National Convention: Buhari meets APC governors, backs Oshiomhole...

Police arrest Senator Dino Melaye at Abuja airport...

Looters mobilise, protest against Buhari in London –...

Why I criticised my husband’s government, Aisha Buhari...

Reps probe lottery operators over alleged tax evasion...

Insecurity: Nigeria heading towards a failed state –...

Jonathan’s former aide, Omokri reveals how Buhari ‘benefited’...

Nigeria recovers N7.8bn, $378m through whistle-blowers

Enugu playing leading role in Youth Empowerment --Commissioner...

 

Latest News Court declared me wanted to embarrass me – Innoson boss, Innocent Chukwuma Ekiti Deputy Speaker, Chief Whip impeached, replaced Armed policemen invade residence of ex-President Jonathan’s aide PDP chairman, four others sent to prison until they meet bail conditions Buhari’s bill on water resources splits northern, southern senators Court remands man, 41, for allegedly raping four daughters Killings: Buhari thanks Nigerians for understanding, support Bauchi Deputy Governor Resigns Metuh’s trial to continue in his absence, Court rules Nigerian Military raises alarm over Malicious Rape Report by Amnesty International Assassination allegation: Why Wike hasn’t been quizzed – FG 2019: Apart from Abacha, other Heads of State have no love for Nigeria – Pres. Buhari

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (5,779 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (3,837 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (3,457 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (3,243 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (3,192 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (2,657 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (2,419 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (2,355 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (2,301 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (2,287 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (2,205 views) Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar (1,957 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (67) EDITORIAL (3) POLITICS (265) SOCIETY (94) SPORTS (5) BUSINESS (135) HEALTH (10) EDUCATION (11) INTERNATIONAL (19) ENTERTAINMENT (4) TECHNOLOGY (0) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (7)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands