Buhari orders publication of names of suspected looters

By Tony Edike on 20/10/2017

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 883

Abukabar Malami, SAN
Abukabar Malami, SAN

The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice Abukabar Malami, SAN has disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari has directed all relevant agencies to compile documents on names of all looters with a view to promptly enforcing the judgment of a Federal High Court in Lagos ordering the government to release to Nigerians information about the names of high ranking public officials from whom public funds were recovered.

The court also ordered the government to tell Nigerians the circumstances under which funds were recovered, as well as the exact amount of funds recovered from each public official.

Mr Malami made the disclosure on Wednesday during a meeting at his office in Abuja with a delegation from Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).

This development was disclosed on Thursday in a statement by SERAP executive director, Adetokunbo Mumuni.

Mumuni said, “We had a very productive meeting with Mr Malami, discussing among other critical issues the need for the government to obey the judgment delivered in July by Hon Justice Hadiza Rabiu Shagari following a Freedom of Information suit number: FHC/CS/964/2016 brought by SERAP.”

According to Mumuni, “Mr Malami informed us that President Buhari has directed the Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Finance, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) and other relevant agencies involved in the recovery of looted funds to promptly put the documents together with a view to fully and promptly enforcing the judgment by Justice Shagari.

“We appreciate the opportunity to meet with the Attorney General of the Federation and look forward to working with him as the government strives to enforce this very important judgment. We hope that the implementation of the judgment will now happen sooner rather than later. We believe that effectively implementing the judgment will be a victory for the rule of law, show the way forward in the fight against corruption and impunity of perpetrators in the country, as well as demonstrate Buhari’s oft-repeated commitment to tackling the problem of grand corruption.”

It would be recalled that the SERAP suit followed disclosure last year by the Federal Government of funds recovered from some high-ranking public officials and private individuals.

In her judgment delivered on 5th July 2017 Justice Shagari agreed with SERAP that “the Federal Government has legally binding obligations to tell Nigerians the names of all suspected looters of the public treasury past and present.” Joined as Defendants in the suit are the Minister of Information Alhaji Lai Muhammed and the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.

The same day that the judgment was delivered, Mr Malami told reporters in Abuja that government was in agreement with the ruling and would carry out the order as long as it does not amount to sub-judice.

Justice Shagari also granted a declaration that by virtue of the provisions of Section 4 (a) of the Freedom of Information Act 2011, the defendants are under a binding legal obligation to provide the Plaintiff with up to date information relating to the following:

To widely disseminate including on a dedicated website information about the names of high ranking public officials from whom public funds were recovered since May 2015
The circumstances under which stolen public funds were returned

It would be recalled that the Ministry of Information last year published details of the recoveries, which showed that the Nigerian government successfully retrieved total cash amount N78,325,354,631.82, $185,119,584.61, £3,508,355.46 and €11, 250 between May 29, 2015 and May 25, 2016. Also released were recoveries under interim forfeiture, which were a combination of cash and assets, during the same period: N126,563,481,095.43, $9,090,243,920.15, £2,484,447.55 and €303,399.17. Anticipated repatriation from foreign countries totalled: $321,316,726.1, £6,900,000 and €11,826.11. The ministry also announced that 239 non-cash recoveries were made during the one-year period. The non-cash recoveries are – farmlands, plots of land, uncompleted buildings, completed buildings, vehicles and maritime vessels.

 

Subsequently, SERAP issued an FOI request and gave the Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Muhammed 14 days to disclose the names of all suspected looters. ( TNewsews)

Posted 20/10/2017 06:25:26 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Hate speech: Nigeria more divided than ever before,...

Kidnapper sleeps off in victim’s house after taking...

Police arraign neuropsychiatric worker for fraud in Enugu...

Babangida calls for two-party system in Nigeria

Herdsmen attack Ondo LG secretariat, chase out workers...

Unknown gunmen kill 2, kidnap 9 in Kaduna...

Sultan knocks Ortom, Fani-Kayode for linking herdsmen killings...

Maina on the run again

Egypt sentences ex-President Morsi’s adviser, 13 others to...

2019: We are yet to endorse Buhari for...

Herdsmen set Falae’s farm on fire

Biafra: Protesters storm British High Commission, insist UK...

 

Latest News 2019: APC chieftain dares Buhari, declares support for Atiku at PDP secretariat Ekweremadu’s Constituents Carpet Buhari’s Aides over senatorial seat Drama as APC chieftain defects to PDP, places curse 2019: Dogara defects, picks PDP forms INEC denies plans to postpone 2019 elections Buhari assures on new minimum wage as workers threaten strike APC fires back at The Economist, HSBC for predicting Buhari’s defeat Army, others in show of force over IPOB sit-at-home order 2019: I’m seeking re-election to protect Nigeria – Buhari Jonathan condemns Oshiomhole over vote-buying allegations Okorocha sacks aides contesting election New Minimum Wage: Labour issues two weeks ultimatum as Fed Govt gives assurance

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,689 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,036 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (4,878 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (4,349 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,259 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,558 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,302 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,265 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,232 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,231 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,231 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,028 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (436) EDITORIAL (5) POLITICS (330) SOCIETY (102) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (194) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (14) INTERNATIONAL (30) ENTERTAINMENT (7) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands