Court sentences Chibok girls’ abductor 15 years imprisonment

By Editor on 13/02/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 672

The Chibokgirls
The Chibokgirls

The Federal High Court sitting in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, on Monday sentenced 35-year-old Haruna Yahaya for terrorism offences.

The convict, whose left arm and left leg are crippled, was convicted for being a member of the proscribed Boko Haram terrorist group and participating in the abduction of over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, in 2014.

He was said to have participated in the group’s attacks in Chibok, Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State and Gabsuri town in the Damboa Local Government of the state.

Yahaya had on Monday pleaded guilty to the two counts preferred against him by the Federal Government but pleaded for mercy, saying he was forcefully conscripted into the terrorist group.

But the judge who sat in one of the four special courts established by the Federal High Court to fast track the trial of over 1,000 suspects said the court was “not fooled” by Yahaya’s story.

The court noted the convict was “using the misfortune of his handicap to draw sympathy”.

The judge, therefore, ruled that the 15 years sentence passed on the convict who had been in detention since 2015 would commence counting from Monday.

Posted 13/02/2018 12:37:11 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Plateau: Six killed, 15 buildings, church burnt down...

Benue former speaker, others lose bid to vacate...

Teenager beheads self with chainsaw after losing computer...

Buhari’s government full of lies, propaganda – Jonathan...

How my family members were maltreated by EFCC...

Minimum Wage: Labour insists on agreement

I won’t surrender to corruption, Buhari vows

Ekiti Assembly rejects election results, adjourns till October...

Fayose to sell petrol to motorists today

Brides abandon wedding receptions for final exams

Buhari directs health minister to investigate spread of...

Senate: Fed Govt plotted mace snatch to overthrow...

 

Latest News Obi: Why the South East Leaders are angry EFCC seizes gold worth N1.1 billion at Abuja airport Foreign travel ban: Buhari resorts to dictatorship since Atiku’s emergence as candidate – PDP 2019: Atiku picks Peter Obi as running mate All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate Defections: Why we suspended impeachment moves against Saraki, Ekweremadu – Senate Leader Deadline on Leah Sharibu: Religious leaders appeal to abductors Biafra: Orji Kalu summoned over Nnamdi Kanu’s whereabouts 2019: APC fumes at Obasanjo over Atiku Buhari bans 50 high-profile Nigerians from travelling Ohakim, 13 other gov aspirants form new APGA Obi of Onitsha declares war against Osu culture

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,833 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,267 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,075 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (4,548 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,461 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,717 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,450 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,436 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,398 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,385 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,376 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,327 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (493) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (362) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (209) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (15) INTERNATIONAL (30) ENTERTAINMENT (7) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands