Produce escaped suspects dead or alive, Melaye tells Police

By Editor on 29/03/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 469

Senator Dino Melaye
Senator Dino Melaye

The lawmaker representing Kogi West Senatorial District   Senator Dino Melaye,  Wednesday, threatened to sue the Inspector-General of Police,  Ibrahim Idris,  if he failed to produce two suspects who levelled allegations against him.

The Kogi State Police Command had on Wednesday  declared the lawmaker wanted after  it confirmed the escape from custody of two suspects arrested and paraded last week for allegedly working for the senator and the son of a former governor of Kogi State, Mohammed Audu.

Addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Lokoja, the state capital, the Commissioner of Police, Ali Janga said the duo have been placed on Interpol watchlist.

Janga said the two suspects paraded last week, Kabir Seidu and Nuhu Salisu, were among six suspects that escaped from custody in the early hours of Wednesday.

The other escapees are Aliyu Isa, Adams Suleiman, Emmanuel Audu and Musa Mohammed.

The Police Commissioner said the Interpol had been notified to arrest the six suspects, including Dino Melaye and Mohammed Audu.

But speaking  on the floor of the Senate, yesterday, Melaye said instead of producing the suspects in court, the prosecutor asked the judge to issue an arrest warrant, stressing that there were rumours that the suspects might have been killed.

He, therefore, urged the police to produce them “dead or alive.”

Melaye said:  “Mr President, we were all supposed to appear before the Lokoja High Court this morning (yesterday). My lawyers were in court at 9 am and the case was called up and the prosecutor of Nigeria police could not produce the two persons.

“Instead of producing the two persons, they asked the judge for a bench warrant for an arrest but the judge refused to grant their prayers and the judge said despite the fact that I have not been served I sent representation to the court. And the main accused persons are absent in court

“So, she cannot grant a bench warrant and the matter has been adjourned till May 10. Mr President, I want to use the opportunity and on the principle of justice to call on the Inspector-General of Police that within 48 hours he must produce these accused persons because they are presumed innocent until proven guilty; they also have right to life.”

“So, police must as a matter of urgency, produce these two accused persons. Failure to do so, I will sue the Inspector-General of Police for mental assault. Nigeria is not a Banana Republic. They cannot escape, he must produce them dead or alive.”

Posted 29/03/2018 07:48:25 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Babangida asks Nigerians to vote out Buhari in...

Abakaliki Street still exist in Awka --LG boss...

Germany ready to repatriate over 30,000 illegal Nigerian...

Senatorial candidate weeps in court

Again, Court orders temporary forfeiture of funds linked...

Melaye sends emotional thank you message to Nigerians...

NUJ applauds Gov. Ugwuanyi for maintaining excellent labour...

Police arraign Melaye for attempted suicide

2019: Contest and be disgraced – Fr. Mbaka...

Herdsmen killings: Stop calling Buhari a murderer Presidency...

Secondus raises alarm over PDP members, Dino Melaye,...

Ekweremadu accuses presidency of persecuting opposition

 

Latest News Two policemen allegedly killed as Melaye escapes assassination attempt Power supply remains low at 3,838MW as Fashola, Discos bicker Dasuki won’t be released despite bails, he caused 100,000 deaths – Buhari’s minister, Malami Stakeholders endorse Bill on Fed Poly, Mpu, Enugu We have ‘facts’ to prove APC rigged Ekiti poll for Fayemi – PDP Defection threats: Gov Ortom shuns peace meeting with APC Buhari’s team, APC offer opposition parties N50m —ADC Masquerades beat, injure two Catholic priests in Enugu 2019 elections: PDP considers boycott, Secondus tells Observers Rowdy ‎session as S-East senators allege Buhari’s appointments lopsided Ekiti Assembly rejects election results, adjourns till October Varsity student found dead in well after SARS invasion of hostel

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,206 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (4,414 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (4,269 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (3,783 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (3,722 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,091 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (2,836 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (2,753 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (2,753 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (2,737 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (2,691 views) Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar (2,298 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (257) EDITORIAL (4) POLITICS (308) SOCIETY (96) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (166) HEALTH (13) EDUCATION (14) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (25) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands