$5.3bn: Court strikes out EFCC case against Patience Jonathan

By Editor on 21/04/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 552

Patience Jonathan
Patience Jonathan

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday struck out a suit filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), seeking tofreeze the sum of $5.3 billion domiciled in a bank account and linked to the wife of the former President, Mrs Patience Jonathan and six others.

Justice Mojisola Olatoregun struck out the suit at the instance of the EFCC who filed an application to discontinue same.

Last week Friday, Justice Olatoregun had struck out the Commission’s ex-parte application for the seizure of certain funds belonging to Mrs Jonathan after holding that the issue was already a subject of litigation before two other judges, Justice Murtala-Nyako and Justice John Tsoho, both of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

The judge also criticised the EFCC for engaging in forum shopping by filing multiple suits on the seizure of the funds, one with a total of $8,435,788.84 and another for N7.35billion.

According to Channels tv, with the court striking out the cases and a similar discontinuance application filed by the EFCC before Justice Nyako in Abuja, the EFCC will now file an application for the forfeiture of the funds to the Federal Government.

The court presided by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, had sometime in December 2016, while granting EFCC’s ex-parte application ordered that the account be frozen pending the conclusion of investigation on the monies.

The judge had also ordered the EFCC to file an undertaking as to damages if it turned out that the order was erroneously granted.

In urging the court to temporarily freeze the account, the EFCC through one of its investigators, Abdulahi Tukura, in an affidavit, told the court that Mrs Patience Jonathan used different companies and individuals to acquire the money.

The investigator also said that Mrs Jonathan’s money in a bank account with a current balance of $5,842,316.66 billion, is reasonably suspected to be proceeds of crime.

Another individual, Esther Oba who is said to be at large is also said to be in possession of $429,381.87 million said to belong to Mrs Jonathan.

At the hearing of the matter on Thursday, a lawyer to one of the respondents, Ige Asemudara, told the court that he was duly informed by the EFCC’s lawyer, Mohammed Idris, who was equally in court, that, the anti-graft agency had signified its intention to discontinue the suit, by filing a notice of discontinuance.

Asemudara, therefore, urged the court to strike out the suit.

Asemudara’s application was granted, and Justice Olatoregun consequently struck out the suit.

Posted 21/04/2018 06:55:49 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Ekweremadu: Fight corruption, stop hounding our members, PDP...

APC NEC adopts direct presidential primary, indirect for...

Police arrest Onitsha ‘beggars’ who make N25,000 daily...

APC finally breaks as nPDP, others form faction,...

Elder statesman, Adamu Ciroma dies at 84

I’m surprised Nigerians are not clapping for Buhari...

Gunmen assassinate Gov Dickson’s aide

Poll timetable reorder: Northern senators sack Adamu as...

Alleged N2.6bn fraud: Appeal Court acquits ex-NIMASA DG,...

Fed Govt in ceasefire talks with Boko Haram...

Imo lawyers boycott court sittings, want IG to...

More trouble for APC as Gov. Ahmed hints...

 

Latest News 2019: APC chieftain dares Buhari, declares support for Atiku at PDP secretariat Ekweremadu’s Constituents Carpet Buhari’s Aides over senatorial seat Drama as APC chieftain defects to PDP, places curse 2019: Dogara defects, picks PDP forms INEC denies plans to postpone 2019 elections Buhari assures on new minimum wage as workers threaten strike APC fires back at The Economist, HSBC for predicting Buhari’s defeat Army, others in show of force over IPOB sit-at-home order 2019: I’m seeking re-election to protect Nigeria – Buhari Jonathan condemns Oshiomhole over vote-buying allegations Okorocha sacks aides contesting election New Minimum Wage: Labour issues two weeks ultimatum as Fed Govt gives assurance

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,689 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,036 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (4,878 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (4,349 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,259 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (3,558 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,302 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,265 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,232 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,231 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,231 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,028 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (436) EDITORIAL (5) POLITICS (330) SOCIETY (102) SPORTS (12) BUSINESS (194) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (14) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (8)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands