Court remands man, 41, for allegedly raping four daughters

By Editor on 25/05/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 311


A Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting in Port Harcourt on Thursday remanded in custody a 41-year-old man, Michael Akpan, for allegedly raping his four biological daughters.

It was gathered that the accused stood the risk of being sentenced to life imprisonment for allegedly having unlawful carnal knowledge of his four daughters, who were said to be two, seven, 11 and 17 years old respectively.

Akpan, who was arraigned on three counts bordering on rape, was said to have committed the crime in the Borokiri Sand Field area of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, in his apartment.

The charges read in part, “That you, Michael Akpan, sometime in April 2018, at Borokiri Sand Field, Port Harcourt, within the Port Harcourt Magisterial District, did have unlawful carnal knowledge of (name withheld) without her consent, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 358 of the Criminal Code, Cap 37, Vol. II, Law of Rivers State of Nigeria, 1999.

“That you, Michael Akpan Isaiah, sometime in May, 2018, at Borokiri Sand Field, Port Harcourt, within the Port Harcourt Magisterial District, did have unlawful carnal knowledge of (name withheld) aged seven, thereby committing an offence punishable under Section 218 of the Criminal Code, Cap 37, Vol. II, Law of Rivers State of Nigeria, 1999.”

No lawyer stood for the accused even as he (Akpan) was not allowed to take his plea due to the nature of the offence.

Representative of the Federation of International Women Lawyers in Rivers State, Fortune Ndah, who was in court, said the accused had been raping his daughters for the past three years.

Ndah added that the crime was exposed after Isaiah’s son caught him in the act, adding that the accused was always beating his victims before having his way sexually with them.

The Chief Magistrate, Zinnah Alikor, said the action of the accused was an abomination and a display of wickedness.

Blaming the mother of the children, who she also described as a victim, for failing to have a close relationship with her children, the chief magistrate maintained that the mother would have found out the atrocity of her husband earlier.

Alikor directed that the case file be transferred to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions for legal advice, even as she added that the court had no jurisdiction over the matter.

While adjourning the matter indefinitely, the chief magistrate directed that the accused be remanded in custody.

Posted 25/05/2018 07:53:38 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget...

Senate rejects committee’s shoddy report on Benue killings...

EFCC arrests former PDP chair, Modu Sheriff

Swarm of bees follows car for 2 days...

2019: Southern, M’Belt leaders demand INEC chairman’s removal...

Buhari: Anyone complaining of hunger should go and...

Restructure to save Nigeria, South, Middle Belt leaders...

World Cup: Nigeria will get to semi-finals, magical...

Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar...

Gov. Ugwuanyi swears-in three High Court Judges

Fulani herdsmen kidnap Methodist priest, two others in...

Air Peace passengers escapes death as cows take...

 

Latest News Adams Oshiomhole is APC New National Chairman Celebrations, tears as Saudi Arabia overturns ban on Women Driving APC announces Results of National Convention Herdsmen kill over 100 returning from funeral in Plateau Abakaliki Street still exist in Awka --LG boss PDP, Ohaneze demand immediate release of Sen. Abaribe Alleged kidnapping: Evans hires new lawyer after former withdraws over threats to life Police deploys 5000 personnel for APC Convention Court dismisses FG’s suit seeking forfeiture of accounts not linked to BVN Osinbajo, Saraki, Atiku others lauds Super Eagles’s victory against Iceland 2018 Budget: Fayose attacks Buhari for blaming National Assembly, calls President ‘blame specialist’ 2019: Muslim group accuses Saraki, Dogara of plotting Buhari’s downfall with 2018 budget

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (6,002 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (4,129 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (3,712 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (3,538 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (3,470 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (2,881 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (2,642 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (2,556 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (2,535 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (2,531 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (2,468 views) Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar (2,117 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (157) EDITORIAL (4) POLITICS (285) SOCIETY (95) SPORTS (9) BUSINESS (145) HEALTH (13) EDUCATION (12) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (24) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (7)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands