Police redeploy National Assembly DPO over mace theft probe

By Editor on 27/05/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 434


The Police have redeployed the Divisional Police Officer of the National Assembly Complex Division, Mr. Abdul Sulu-Gambari.

Sources in the police and the National Assembly told our correspondent that Sulu-Gambari was redeployed based on his testimonies before the joint Senate and House of Representatives ad hoc committee set up to investigate the April 18, 2018, invasion of the Senate chamber and mace snatching by suspected thugs.

The DPO, who testified before the probe panel earlier in May, had said there was internal conspiracy in the security system at the National Assembly Complex, among others, which aided the attackers.

Sulu-Gambari had also told the panel that six suspects were arrested while providing details of the exhibits recovered from them.

The force spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, said he could not confirm the redeployment, noting that the DPO was still at his post on Friday.

The Commissioner of Police, Federal Capital Territory, Sadiq Bello, did not respond to calls on Saturday.

He had yet to reply a text message as of the time of filing this report

A security source confirmed the report on condition of anonymity.

The source said, “It is true that the man has been redeployed. He has been redeployed to the Adamawa State command. Furthermore, the office of the DPO is now no longer under the Federal Capital Territory; it is now under the office of the Inspector-General of Police at the Force Headquarters. That will give the IG direct access to any DPO at the National Assembly.”

A member of the panel, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said Sulu-Gambari provided vital information that helped the lawmakers in their investigations.

The source said, “Actually, he has given us details of the attack. He has spoken his mind. He was the one who provided all the identity cards, charms and the photographic identity of the people who came.

“He also handed over the statements they wrote. I am sure that it did not go down well with police authorities.”

Meanwhile, the lawmaker representing Delta Central Senatorial District, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, has stated that the report to be produced by the Joint Senate and House of Representatives Committee set up to investigate the April 18 invasion of the National Assembly and mace snatching at the Senate will not have any effect on him.

Omo-Agege urged the committee, led by the Senate Deputy Majority Leader, Senator Bala Na’Allah, to rescind its decision to go ahead with the probe, despite a suit filed by him against the exercise.

The senator noted that a similar approach by the Senator Samuel Anyanwu-led Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, which recommended his suspension and was approved by the Senate, was eventually nullified in court.

Omo-Agege and Senator Ali Ndume had on Tuesday appeared before the committee, where they were asked to explain their alleged roles in the attack on the Senate. --Punch

Posted 27/05/2018 06:50:30 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Herdsmen killings: We will hold government accountable –...

Electoral Act: Buhari plots to rig 2019 elections...

Buhari campaign organisation disowns group over contract solicitations...

INTERPOL, court issue fresh arrest warrants for Maina...

Sudan arrests suspected killer of Nigerian diplomat

Ikeme’s absence my biggest W/Cup regret – Rohr...

Presidency fires back at Jonathan over claims Buhari’s...

Native doctor dies while testing bulletproof charm

Boko Haram executes second aide worker

Controversy over Pastor who prayed at US Embassy...

Achuzia, Biafran war hero, dies at 90 *He...

Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer reveals who will produce IPOB...

 

Latest News 11 Nigerian Soldiers face Court Martial over indiscipline PDP condemns EFCC invasion of Atiku’s sons’ residence 2019: Atiku, Obi, Saraki, Secondus, others listed for arrest – PDP PDP has looted Nigeria’s destiny – Fashola INEC dares Buhari, rules out incident forms in 2019 elections Elections: I’m not neutral, Buhari must go in 2019 – Obasanjo FG moves to avert strike, to pay petrol marketers N236billion subsidy money Buhari blames legislature for Electoral Bill controversy EFCC: Why we raided Atiku’s sons’ apartment 2019: FG’s cash disbursement is vote-buying, inducement – Dogara Jibril is neither Buhari nor his clone – IPOB leader Osinbajo in Germany, says grand corruption Nigeria’s greatest problem

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,210 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,917 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,619 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,082 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (4,993 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,130 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,941 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,933 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,856 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,854 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,843 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,803 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (696) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (396) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (231) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (18) ENTERTAINMENT (8) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands