JOHESU: Health workers vow to continue strike

By Editor on 29/05/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,086

Buhari
Buhari

The Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) on Monday said it would continue its ongoing nationwide strike until the Federal Government implements certain agreements reached between the two parties on Sept. 30, 2017.

JOHESU disclosed this at a peaceful rally organised by its national body in Abuja, saying it would not be deterred by the court’s injunction compelling its members to return to work.

Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, National Chairman of the union said the rally was aimed at updating members with current developments regarding the ongoing strike, including the recent court order.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the National Industrial Court (NIC) gave an order on May 25, 2018 compelling JOHESU to call off the strike, which began on April 18.

Biobelemoye emphasised that the union had every right to obey or challenge the court order.

“I owe members the responsibility to update them on happenings between us and the government to enable them take decisive position, and whatever they decide is final.

“We call on the government to implement our upward adjustment and other things as contained in the agreement of Sept. 30, 2017.

“No going back on the strike until those things are met,’’ he said.

He noted that since the union embarked on strike on April 18, the federal government had met with the leadership eight times.

He however, described the meetings as one step forward and two steps backward.

He mentioned that the amount of money owed the union is N22.6billion, adding that due to the intervention of the National Salaries Income and Wages Commission, it had been reduced to N16.5 billion.

He said JOHESU’s agreement on the reduction of the entitlement from N22.6 billion to N16. 5 billion was geared toward ensuring lasting solutions to the crisis.

“I urge you to stand up for your right, do not yield to pressure or threat in whatever form by the government.

“Hence, we are not going back to work until they pay us our full entitlement,” he reiterated.

Posted 29/05/2018 06:23:10 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Buhari pledges infrastructure support for South East

Buhari names Ebonyi federal varsity after Ekwueme

Couple die on way to honeymoon as bride...

Buhari lacks capacity to implement 2018 budget, says...

2019: Atiku’s American visa status is confidential –...

Endless desperation to nail Ekweremadu

Saraki, Dogara: Presidency, APC took NASS powers for...

2019: PDP denies demanding N12m from presidential aspirants...

Senate recovers stolen mace, summons police, DSS over...

Court dismisses FG’s suit seeking forfeiture of accounts...

England beat Spain to win U17 World Cup...

Youths attack Obaseki’s convoy, allege marginalisation

 

Latest News INEC, PDP disagree over alleged 3,000 illegal polling units Anambra South: Court sacks APGA Senatorial candidate, nullifies primary election result Presidency endorses 65-year retirement age for teachers Buhari signs peace pact as Atiku claims he was denied invitation Dozie Ikedife is dead, to be buried today Man, 35, commits suicide after strangling his four children to death Ugwuanyi bags Grassroots Development Governor of the Year award 11 Nigerian Soldiers face Court Martial over indiscipline PDP condemns EFCC invasion of Atiku’s sons’ residence 2019: Atiku, Obi, Saraki, Secondus, others listed for arrest – PDP PDP has looted Nigeria’s destiny – Fashola No solutions to Nigeria’s problems – Bishop Kukah

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,234 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (5,949 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (5,646 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,116 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,021 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,156 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (3,970 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (3,961 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (3,893 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (3,873 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (3,870 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (3,829 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (705) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (396) SOCIETY (104) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (231) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (19) ENTERTAINMENT (8) INTERNATIONAL (30) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands