JOHESU: Health workers vow to continue strike

By Editor on 29/05/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 256

Buhari
Buhari

The Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) on Monday said it would continue its ongoing nationwide strike until the Federal Government implements certain agreements reached between the two parties on Sept. 30, 2017.

JOHESU disclosed this at a peaceful rally organised by its national body in Abuja, saying it would not be deterred by the court’s injunction compelling its members to return to work.

Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, National Chairman of the union said the rally was aimed at updating members with current developments regarding the ongoing strike, including the recent court order.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the National Industrial Court (NIC) gave an order on May 25, 2018 compelling JOHESU to call off the strike, which began on April 18.

Biobelemoye emphasised that the union had every right to obey or challenge the court order.

“I owe members the responsibility to update them on happenings between us and the government to enable them take decisive position, and whatever they decide is final.

“We call on the government to implement our upward adjustment and other things as contained in the agreement of Sept. 30, 2017.

“No going back on the strike until those things are met,’’ he said.

He noted that since the union embarked on strike on April 18, the federal government had met with the leadership eight times.

He however, described the meetings as one step forward and two steps backward.

He mentioned that the amount of money owed the union is N22.6billion, adding that due to the intervention of the National Salaries Income and Wages Commission, it had been reduced to N16.5 billion.

He said JOHESU’s agreement on the reduction of the entitlement from N22.6 billion to N16. 5 billion was geared toward ensuring lasting solutions to the crisis.

“I urge you to stand up for your right, do not yield to pressure or threat in whatever form by the government.

“Hence, we are not going back to work until they pay us our full entitlement,” he reiterated.

Posted 29/05/2018 06:23:10 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Assassination allegation: Why Wike hasn’t been quizzed –...

Your goodwill is fast depleting, Catholic Bishops tell...

Germany to deport 30,000 Nigerians

Nigerian Military raises alarm over Malicious Rape Report...

Gunmen, bombers attack Kogi, Borno, kill 27

PDP, APC Supporters clash over Motion to impeach...

Buhari meets National Assembly leaders

2019: Ex-Generals, governors, ministers regroup to battle Buhari...

2019: Defection tsunami will hit APC soon —...

Ekiti APC primary: Don’t celebrate yet, Fayose tells...

Kidnapping: How I paid €223,000 ransom to Evans...

Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in...

 

Latest News Abakaliki Street still exist in Awka --LG boss PDP, Ohaneze demand immediate release of Sen. Abaribe Alleged kidnapping: Evans hires new lawyer after former withdraws over threats to life Police deploys 5000 personnel for APC Convention Court dismisses FG’s suit seeking forfeiture of accounts not linked to BVN Osinbajo, Saraki, Atiku others lauds Super Eagles’s victory against Iceland 2018 Budget: Fayose attacks Buhari for blaming National Assembly, calls President ‘blame specialist’ 2019: Muslim group accuses Saraki, Dogara of plotting Buhari’s downfall with 2018 budget Nigeria’s environment conducive for business – Saraki woos Russian investors ‎FG withholds Paris Club refund to starve Ekiti, says Fayose Enugu govt sets up judicial panel of inquiry over monarch’s death Ariaria market obtains independent electricity licence

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (5,988 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (4,113 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (3,698 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (3,523 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (3,457 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (2,866 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (2,626 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (2,541 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (2,521 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (2,512 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (2,451 views) Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar (2,107 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (156) EDITORIAL (4) POLITICS (283) SOCIETY (95) SPORTS (9) BUSINESS (145) HEALTH (13) EDUCATION (12) ENTERTAINMENT (7) INTERNATIONAL (23) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (7)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands