Over 600 inmates escape from Kuje prison

By AdvocateNews on 06/07/2022

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 300

File: Kuje Prison
File: Kuje Prison

The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, Dr Shuaib Belgore, has said over 600 of the inmates fled the prisons when it came under attack late Tuesday night.

Belgore stated that those behind the attack were Boko Haram terrorists who came specifically for their members held in the custody.

He, however, said about 300 had been recaptured, while 300 were still at large.

Speaking while addressing journalists, he also said an operative of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps was killed during the attack.

He said, “There have been several attacks on our facilities most of them are being repelled, but every now and then, there is one that they have succeeded. In this is one they came very determined with high explosives.

“The initial entry attempt was unsuccessful, then they attacked another section of the wall with higher grade explosives which brought the wall down.

“The forces on the ground did everything they could to repel them but the number they came with was high which they were not able to defend against. They kept on fighting gallantly unfortunately the breach happened. Reinforcement came when they were halfway through it. They were eventually repelled.

“At the time they came in they killed one NSCDC operative while trying to save the situation. The inmates here are 994.

“We understand they are Boko Haram terrorists and came specifically came for their conspirators. Many of them have returned, some were retrieved from the bushes they were hiding, right now we have retrieved about 300 out of about 600 that got out of the jail.”

The Nigerian Correctional Service had earlier confirmed that there was an attack on the Custodial Centre in the Kuje area council of the Federal Capital Territory.

In a statement by its spokesperson, Umar Abubakar, in the early hours of Wednesday, he said the armed squad of the service in collaboration with other security agencies responded to the attack.

He, however, said calm had been returned to the area.

The statement was titled, “Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje attacked by gunmen.”

It read, “I wish to confirm that at about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, in the Federal Capital Territory.

“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial Centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.

“Other details will be made available soon.”

Investigations, however, revealed that no fewer than seven vehicles belonging to the Nigerian Correctional Service were razed by explosives detonated by the terrorists during the attack.

A wall of the prison was also pulled down with explosives to grant the escapees access to flee. 

Already, about 300 of the fleeing inmates have been recaptured.

Both the air component of the Nigerian Police Force, the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service, the military and the Nigeria Security Civil Defence Corps, vigilantes group are combing nearby bushes to recapture others.

Posted 06/07/2022 11:50:10 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Oshiohmole dismisses reports on APC Governors’ gang-up against...

Why service chiefs ‘appeared’ at Buhari’s campaign launch...

VAT collection row: No going back on bill,...

COVID-19 gradual ease of lockdown: Sanwo-Olu reopens schools...

Fulani herdsmen kill man, kidnap 6 others in...

Obi advises El Rufai to shun hate speeches...

Ebonyi govt declares fmr. Reps member wanted over...

EFCC denies involvement in Security invasion of Justice...

Pastor kidnaps Catholic Priest, N5m ransom paid

Kyari’s younger brother deletes pix of luxury cars...

Ebonyi 2023: Federal High Court affirms Odii as...

Governors oppose death penalty for hate speech

 

Latest News Yahaya Bello orders closure of brothels, bans use of face masks in Kogi ‘US kills terrorists, Nigeria pampers them’ - Femi Fani-Kayode Residents flee as unknown gunmen kill 7 in Imo Suspect who beat Nigerian to death in Italy arrested 2023: Lalong, Oshiomhole lead APC’s campaign team Bandits: We’ll continue to fight for justice – Southern Kaduna 2023: Obi support group slams Tinubu for wishing Peter Obi and supporters dead, tells INEC to call him to order Terror fears force NRC to suspend Lagos-Kano, Ajaokuta train services FG purchases N1.4bn vehicles for Niger Republic, justifies action NBC fines DSTV, TSTV, NTA, Trust TV N20m over Documentary on Banditry ...Says fines must be paid in 27 days Gunmen kidnap gold miner in Osun, demand N100m ransom NASS vs Buhari: Uncertainty as Buhari faces impeachment threat in last days

 

Most Read Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (427,918 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (427,918 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (427,918 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (427,917 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (427,917 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (427,917 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (427,917 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (427,914 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (427,911 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (420,030 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (356,318 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (355,253 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (159) EDITORIAL (25) NEWS (9,907) POLITICS (519) SOCIETY (135) SPORTS (67) BUSINESS (380) HEALTH (63) EDUCATION (53) ENTERTAINMENT (65) INTERNATIONAL (232) TECHNOLOGY (8) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (47)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.