Army, others in show of force over IPOB sit-at-home order

By Editor on 13/09/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 2,047


A detachment of the police, army, navy and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps on Wednesday embarked on a show of force on major streets in Umuahia.

The show of force is an apparent response to the September 14 stay-at-home directive, issued by the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB).

The security operatives showed their presence in full force in the Abia capital with residents of the city watching in amazement.

A long motorcade of the operatives, took off from the Umuahia Central Police Station and drove through Garki to Ossah Road to Michael Okpara Square through the Abia Tower back to the CPS through Bank Road to Afara community in Umuahia.

The IPOB leader, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, is from Afara community.

Addressing newsmen at the end of the exercise, the Abia Commissioner of Police, Mr Anthony Ogbizi, said that the security agencies would invoke the anti-terrorism law to deal with any attempt by IPOB to cause breach of public peace in the state.

Ogbizi said the show of force was to demonstrate the collective resolve by the security agencies to contain any attempt by the group to put the anti-terrorism law to test.

“Our coming together is a signal of our resolve to confront any event that may rear its ugly head before, during and after Sept. 14.

“IPOB has been proscribed by the Federal Government and there are many laws in place.

“The group should not dare the law because we shall apply the rule of engagement in dealing with it.”

The commissioner said that the activities of IPOB in Abia last year could have plunged the nation into serious security crisis.

He said that it took the combined intervention of all the security agencies in the state to put the tension brought by the group under control.

The police chief said that the police command had recorded an incident in Aba, where Improvised Explosive Device, was used to attack some people.

He said that the incident was still being investigated and that the command was on the trail of those that produced the device.

Ogbizi said the security agencies were determined to ensure adequate security for lives and property, urging members of the public to go about their businesses without fear of molestation.

He, however, advised parents, religious and community leaders to assist security agencies in discouraging their people from engaging in acts capable of threatening the prevailing peace in Abia.

The Commander of the 14 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Ohafia, Brig.-Gen. Abubakar Ibrahim, said that Abia remained one of the safest states in the country.

Ibrahim advised residents to remain law abiding and to also take steps to sustain peace in the area.

He enjoined security operatives deployed to Abia to maintain peace and to relate harmoniously with one another in the course of their duties.

Posted 13/09/2018 07:28:07 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
2019: R-APC sues Oshiomhole, APC

Wet season farming: NIRSAL to lift 44,670 farmers...

Economic and Institutional Restructuring for the Next Nigeria...

Senate reintroduces bill to regulate social media —...

Man defiles neighbour’s seven-year- old girl in Anambra,...

Awgu community assures Ugwuanyi of adequate security support...

COVID-19: Buhari extends lockdown by 14 days •...

Enugu lady raped to death buried 18 months...

CHALLENGE & REALITIES OF NON-INCLUSIVENESS IN EDUCATION: NIGERIA...

Borno residents flee as Boko Haram attacks four...

Nigeria’s oldest ex-prisoner dies 134 days after release...

Nigeria records 242 new COVID-19 cases, total now...

 

Latest News My $1.9 billion in Minnesota bank - Femi Adesina Govt, abductors negotiate, 317 Zamfara schoolgirls may be released today SEEDS OF DESTINY FEB 28, 2021: YOU ARE NOT AT THE MERCY OF THE ENEMY DSS arrests sacked Ganduje’s aide for demanding Buhari’s resignation Banditry, kidnappings: Nigerians have lost faith in Buhari – Northern Elders Student abductions: Buhari’s govt has failed Nigeria, says Soyinka Kidnapped Zamfara schoolgirls released NUJ demands arrest of Sheikh Gumi Pandemonium as DSS, Police attempt to arrest Sunday Igboho Boko Haram, others remain a threat –US THE DILEMMA OF GOODLUCK JONATHAN Abducted Kagara students regain freedom

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (55,029 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (41,255 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (35,438 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (33,776 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (33,744 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (33,501 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (32,625 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (32,604 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (31,734 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (31,626 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (30,535 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (28,065 views)

 

SECTIONS FAITH (73) EDITORIAL (14) NEWS (4,630) POLITICS (480) SOCIETY (125) SPORTS (41) BUSINESS (343) HEALTH (48) EDUCATION (42) INTERNATIONAL (138) ENTERTAINMENT (31) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (39) LETTERS (3) OPINION (28)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.