Osun rerun: Anti-Buhari coalition accuses INEC of releasing PVCs to govt officials

By Editor on 25/09/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 557


The Coalition of United Political Parties on Monday alleged that INEC was giving to Osun State officials unclaimed permanent voter cards in units where there would be supplementary election.

The coalition members alleged that the conspiracy was being spearheaded by some unnamed national officers of the commission.

CUPP, which was formed a few months ago with the aim of ousting the President Muhammadu Buhari administration in the 2019 presidential election, warned that the act of illegality would not be allowed to stand.

Spokesman for the CUPP, Mr Ikenga Ugochinyere, made the allegations in a statement on Monday.

He said, “The attention of the CUPP has been drawn to credible intelligence showing a new conspiracy by some national officers of INEC to tamper and manipulate the Osun governorship rerun with the ongoing release of uncollected PVCs to desperate APC government in Osun State.

“We wish to alert the public that INEC, in furtherance of this move being coordinated by an INEC senior officer from South-West, has refused to release the official list of people who have collected PVCs at the seven polling units where the election is to be held.

“We have it on good authority that less than 1,000 registered voters have collected their PVC’s out of the 3,498 voters. This means that less than 1,000 persons are to participate in the actual voting.

“We demand that INEC immediately release this list. The delay is a calculated plot to announce a fictitious figure of uncollected PVCs to enable the APC to share the PVCs to thugs imported from Lagos.”

Ugochinyere added that the CUPP was aware that the Information Communications Technology Unit of the commission was on the verge of releasing the telephone numbers of registered voters of the rerun polling units to the APC.

“The plan is to call, harass and bribe the voters with huge sums from the Paris Club refund meant to pay Osun workers their three-year salary,” he added.

Present concrete proofs, INEC tells CUPP

But INEC said the CUPP should present proofs to back up its allegations, warning the body to stop sowing discord in Osun State.

 

Mr Rotimi Oyekanmi, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Prof Mahmood Yakubu, who spoke on Monday, noted that INEC had “conducted six governorship elections since 2015 without manipulation.”

Oyekanmi said, “It is irresponsible of the CUPP to make a wild and unsubstantiated allegation such as this at this time. What exactly is their motive? The media should ask the CUPP to provide concrete proof about this allegation. The INEC has conducted 191 different types of elections, including six governorship elections since 2015. If the commission did not manipulate any of these elections, why will it do so now with the Osun governorship election?

“The CUPP is advised to engage in patriotic actions rather than sowing discord at a time like this.”

Also, the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Osun State, Mr Olusegun Agbaje, denied the allegation.

Agbaje, who spoke with one of our correspondents, stated that all the unclaimed PVCs were returned to the INEC office.

He said, “I don’t know where politicians get all this information but I am telling you that the unclaimed PVCs are in our strong room here in Osogbo office.

“The distribution of PVCs ended by 5.pm last Wednesday and I instructed all of them at the local government areas to return the uncollected PVCs the same day. They are in our strong room.”

Attempts to get the reaction of the acting National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Yekini Nabena, were unsuccessful. Calls to his mobile telephone indicated that it was switched off. He had yet to reply to a text message sent to him.

PDP plans to buy votes – APC

Earlier on Monday, the APC urged INEC and security agencies to stop an alleged plot by the  Peoples Democratic Party to buy votes in order to rig the  rerun.

This was contained in a statement by Nabena.

The APC said the aftermath of Saturday’s inconclusive Osun State governorship election confirmed the PDP’s vow to deploy all “means, schemes, shenanigans in all ramification and magnitude” to rig all coming elections, starting from the  governorship poll.”

The statement read in part, “It is now clear that the vote-buying template introduced by the PDP and brazenly deployed in the Osun inconclusive election is an urgent threat to our democracy.

“While the PDP and its paid proxies were accusing other political parties of irregularities during Saturday’s inconclusive elections, the party was busy perpetuating its vote-buying scheme as exposed in several leaked videos showing PDP agents buying votes for its candidate, particularly in councils in Ede.

“The PDP’s public rigging method, particularly vote-buying and dissemination of diversionary fake news must be checked as we go into the INEC-ordered Osun governorship rerun. We also call on the electorate, civil society organisations and relevant stakeholders to speak out and resist the PDP’s retrogressive plans.”

Nabena said the PDP had been misinforming the public on the rationale for declaring the Osun governorship election inconclusive.

He recalled that in 2015, the late Abubakar Audu of Kogi State was leading by 240,867 votes to PDP’s 199,514 votes, adding that the margin of 41,353 favoured APC but it was declared inconclusive.

“The people’s will; the people’s vote is supreme. It must be respected and defended. That is democratic, progressive and the right thing,” Nabena added.

Also on Monday, the APC Council for the 2018 Osun Governorship Election described as excessive grandstanding, the call by the PDP to  INEC  to declare its candidate the winner.

In a statement issued in Lagos on Monday, the Chairman of the council’s media committee, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the “PDP’s descent into hysteria” after INEC announced that the election was inconclusive reinforced the council’s earlier statement that the opposition party was in the panic mode.

Mohammed said rather than resort to threats, the PDP could either go to court or decide not to participate in the supplementary election of Thursday.

He said what the PDP should not do was to engage in alleged trade-mark brigandage or employ tactics that could affect the democratic process.

He said, ‘’In its time, there would have been no room for a supplementary election in Osun because the PDP would have used state institutions to hijack the election proper, as it did in Ekiti in 2014.

‘’Local and foreign observers have hailed INEC and the security agencies for a well-organised election. We join them in this commendation.

“Our confidence in the ability of the relevant state institutions involved in the Osun election remains unshaken. So also is our belief that every disagreement resulting from the election must be resolved through the democratic process, rather than a resort to threats of fire and brimstone.”

Mohammed commended the people of Osun State for deepening the nation’s democracy by eschewing violence and exercising their franchise in orderly manner.

He urged voters in the areas to be covered by the supplementary election to also ensure a peaceful process on Thursday.

‘We’ll resist conspiracy against Adeleke’

However, the lawmaker representing Kano Central Senatorial District and presidential aspirant on the platform of the PDP, Senator Rabi’u Kwankwaso, warned against any conspiracy against  Adeleke.

Kwankwaso, in a statement by his media aide, Binta Spikin, urged INEC to be fair in the conduct of the election.

The statement read, “It is important that we stay strong and stand by Senator Adeleke and our great party, PDP, on Thursday.

“Let me also make this clear that we will resist any form of conspiracy against our candidate. I am calling on INEC to be just, fair and transparent.”

Posted 25/09/2018 06:03:53 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Police officers protest in Borno over salary arrears,...

Alleged corruption: Court frees Enugu heart surgeon

PDP rejects shift in election dates, asks INEC...

Buhari hails airport security men for returning missing...

17m people left Africa in 2017 – UN...

N2bn fraud: Arrest ex-pension boss now, Sagay, Falana...

75 illegal immigrants nabbed in Enugu

Herdsmen strike again, kill 30 in Taraba, Benue...

Sorrow, tears as Ekwueme’s corpse arrives Enugu

Benue youths block Gov. Ortom from attending meeting...

2019: Buhari is a failure, incompetent – Obasanjo...

INEC confirms 84.5m voters for 2019 elections

 

Latest News Nigeria Elections: There’s a plot to kill Atiku – Ex-APC spokesman Timi Frank American Secretary of State didn’t describe Atiku as corrupt —US Embassy Zamfara, Rivers APC remain banned – INEC Ex-Enugu SSG, Martin Ilo, is dead Many injured, vehicles burnt as thugs attack PDP campaign convoy in Kano Gunmen attack Osinbajo’s convoy in Ilorin Bomb blast hits commuter bus in Enugu Polls: Ohanaeze, MASSOB, IPOB, reaffirm support for Atiku/Obi (Full Communique) Our endorsement of Atiku, Obi sacrosanct —Ohanaeze Order on ballot box snatchers: We’ll act according to the law – Army Buhari orders Army, Police, others to kill ballot box snatchers Outrage as Buhari declares death for ballot box snatchers

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,659 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (6,531 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (6,227 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,640 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,600 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,593 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (4,500 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (4,484 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (4,365 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (4,360 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (4,337 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (4,237 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (835) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (413) SOCIETY (105) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (244) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (20) INTERNATIONAL (31) ENTERTAINMENT (8) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands