WAEC disagrees with Presidency, says Buhari applied for results

By Editor on 04/11/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 924


We would not have given him the document if he didn’t apply. It is only Buhari or a court that can ask for the results. There is no other person. So he asked for it–WAEC

No, the President did not apply for the documents. I made this clear in an opinion I wrote on Friday. The presentation of the documents to the President was strictly an initiative of WAEC –Shehu

The Presidency and the West African Examinations Council, on Saturday, disagreed on the reason for the issuance of an Attestation of Results to President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday.

While the Presidency insisted that Buhari didn’t apply for the results of the West African School Certificate Examination, which he claimed to have sat for in 1961, the examination body said the document was issued because the President applied for it.

WAEC’s spokesman, Damianus Ojijeogu, stated this in an interview with our correspondent on Saturday.

Ojijeogu told the Punch that “we would not have given him the document if he didn’t apply. It is only Buhari or a court that can ask for the results. There is no other person. So he asked for it.”

Also, WAEC said in issuing an Attestation of Results to replace a lost or missing WAEC certificate, the subjects, where the candidate had F9, would no longer be captured.

WAEC Nigeria said these on its Twitter handle, @waecnigeria, on Saturday, while answering questions from several Nigerians on the omission of F9 from Buhari’s attestation.

“That is WAEC Twitter handle. It is correct,” Ojijeogu added, confirming the authenticity of the post on the handle.

The documents were presented to the President at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during a courtesy visit by a delegation of WAEC led by its Registrar, Dr. Iyi Uwadiae.

Uwadiae was accompanied by the Head, National Office, WAEC, Olutise Adenipekun; Head, Public Affairs, WAEC, Abiodun Aduloju; and the Zonal Coordinator, WAEC Abuja, Olufemi Oke.

Buhari received the documents amidst the controversy generated over his claim in his details presented to the Independent National Electoral Commission that his credentials were with the Military Board.

 

The board had subsequently declared the President’s certificate missing, hence the need for him to get an attestation and a confirmation.

Earlier on its Twitter handle on Saturday, the examination body had stated, “You cannot apply for Attestation of Results or any other document if you have not registered and sat for the examination.

“The documents for application are a letter of application, police report on lost or damaged certificate, photocopy of lost or damaged certificate, two recent passport-sized photographs of the candidate, sworn affidavit for collection of attestation of results and administrative fee of N20,000.”

But the Presidency, which spoke through Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said the initiative to make the documents available to the President was that of the examination body.

Shehu said WAEC authorities made it clear that they read about the controversy generated by the President’s missing certificate and saw the need to save the council’s integrity.

The presidential spokesman added, “No, the President did not apply for the documents. I made this clear in an opinion I wrote on Friday.

“The presentation of the documents to the President was strictly an initiative of WAEC.

“They said they read about the controversy on the pages of newspapers and saw the need to save the integrity of the council.”

Shehu had, in an opinion, titled ‘President Buhari, WAEC and PDP’s toxic air’, on Friday, quoted the examination body as saying that the controversy concerning Buhari’s school certificate was embarrassing and felt a sense of duty to produce and deliver the documents to him.

He had said, “This is a god-send, with WAEC being a non-political entity. This should put to rest the absurd allegations by the Peoples Democratic Party, brought up again and again, that he (Buhari) did not attend a secondary school.”

WAEC said the controversy surrounding the President’s picture was due to a guideline that the council used the photograph of the applicant for the attestation and not the pupil’s picture as of the time of sitting for the examination.

WAEC also said it did not issue the attestation of results to Buhari in 2015 because there was no application for it.

It said, “WAEC does not record fail in certificates. He (Buhari) did not apply for it in 2015. In August 2015, the council introduced Attestation of Results that can be obtained on request and that can serve as a replacement for lost or missing certificates.

“It should be the passport photo he (Buhari) submitted during the application for Attestation of Results. Attestation of Results carries passport of the candidate’s application when he or she applied. Candidates were first issued Attestation of Results by WAEC Nigeria in 2015.

“What we presented to President Buhari on Friday was a Statement/Attestation of Results and not a certificate. Subjects that a candidate had F9s in are no longer captured in certificates or Attestation of Results.”--Punch

Posted 04/11/2018 06:40:14 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Four New COVID-19 Measures announced by President Buhari...

‘Price of rice will stabilise soon’

COVID-19: FG bans flights for another four weeks...

How to apply for Central Bank of Nigeria...

APC faults INEC’s decisions on Rivers, Bauchi

Offa Robbery: nPDP pulls out of talks with...

Abia Pipeline Explosion: Atiku Abubakar commiserates with victims,...

The Big Kick-off: World greatest sports fiesta begins...

N90bn saga: Real reason CAN visited Nigeria’s VP,...

Gov Yahaya Bello after my life, Kogi Deputy...

Buhari denies sacking Osinbajo’s aides, says they were...

Corruption: Buhari signs executive order on suspicious assets...

 

Latest News Buhari nominates Okonjo-Iweala to replace Agah for WTO DG election FG threatens to ban church, mosque gatherings again UN moves to create new country in Africa Three policemen arrested in Mexico over man’s death in custody CoVID-19 Update: Enugu records nine new cases, total now 27 COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor positive Suspected ritualists kill Ekiti 78-year-old widow Dr Jumbo Offor, S’East PSC rep, is dead Former Ondo gov, Olumilua, is dead Police arrest three brothers for kidnap, murder of mother of five in Abuja Armed robbers attack First Bank kill DPO, seven policemen, one civilian in Kogi Reps summon service chiefs over rising insecurity

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (34,070 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (25,587 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (17,172 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (16,897 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (16,038 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (15,474 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (14,962 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (14,024 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (13,790 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (13,087 views) France wins 2018 World Cup Final (12,482 views) The Big Kick-off: World greatest sports fiesta begins in Russia (12,420 views)

 

SECTIONS EDITORIAL (10) NEWS (2,682) POLITICS (443) SOCIETY (118) SPORTS (27) BUSINESS (305) HEALTH (38) EDUCATION (30) ENTERTAINMENT (18) INTERNATIONAL (66) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (1) OPINION (21)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands