Court rejects FG’s request for arrest warrant against Ekweremadu

By Editor on 09/11/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 541

Ekweremadu
Ekweremadu

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday turned down the request by the Federal Government to issue an arrest warrant against the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu.

The Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property had, on behalf of the Federal Government, urged the court to order the arrest of Ekweremadu following the absence of the senator, who was scheduled to be arraigned on Wednesday on charges of non-declaration of assets.

The prosecuting counsel, Mr. Celcus Ukpong, informed the judge, Justice Binta Nyako, that two counts of failure to declare assets were filed against the senator on May 11, 2018.

Ukpong said the summons for the arraignment scheduled for Wednesday had been served on the Deputy Senate President, but he chose to ignore it.

He said, “He decided not to obey the summons. We, therefore, apply for a bench warrant to be issued against him.”

But responding, Ekweremadu’s lawyer, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), urged the court to disregard the application for a bench warrant to be issued against his client.

He informed the court that his client had, on November 1, 2018, filed a motion challenging the competence of the charges and the jurisdiction of the court to entertain the case.

Awomolo argued that without first resolving the application, the matter could not proceed to stage of arraignment.

He cited some Supreme Court decisions to back his contention.

Ekweremadu’s properties targeted for interim forfeiture comprised nine in Abuja, two in London, eight in Dubai, and three in Florida, USA.

Following its findings on the allegedly undeclared assets, the panel, in May this year, filed two counts against Ekweremadu, alleging in one of the counts in the case marked FHC/ABJ/CR/62/2018, that upon notice to declare his assets in the manner prescribed by the SPIPRPP, the Deputy Senate President “refused” to make the declaration “without reasonable excuse.”

In the second count, the prosecution alleged that the defendant “neglected to declare” his assets “without reasonable excuse upon the notice to declare” his assets “in the manner prescribed by the Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property”.

The alleged offences were said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 3(3)(1)(a) of the Recovery of Public Property (Special Provision) Act 2004. –Punch

Posted 09/11/2018 05:41:50 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution...

Melaye sends emotional thank you message to Nigerians...

Reject gunshot victims and get jailed, Police warn...

2019: Ex-Generals, governors, ministers regroup to battle Buhari...

You don’t need license to establish solar power...

Deadline on Leah Sharibu: Religious leaders appeal to...

2019: Dogara defects, picks PDP forms

Senate: Fed Govt plotted mace snatch to overthrow...

Herdsmen killings: We will hold government accountable –...

Ekweremadu: steer clear of Politics, PDP cautions Military...

Restructure to save Nigeria, South, Middle Belt leaders...

Ugwuanyi bags Grassroots Development Governor of the Year...

 

Latest News Nigeria Elections: There’s a plot to kill Atiku – Ex-APC spokesman Timi Frank American Secretary of State didn’t describe Atiku as corrupt —US Embassy Zamfara, Rivers APC remain banned – INEC Ex-Enugu SSG, Martin Ilo, is dead Many injured, vehicles burnt as thugs attack PDP campaign convoy in Kano Gunmen attack Osinbajo’s convoy in Ilorin Polls: Ohanaeze, MASSOB, IPOB, reaffirm support for Atiku/Obi (Full Communique) Our endorsement of Atiku, Obi sacrosanct —Ohanaeze Order on ballot box snatchers: We’ll act according to the law – Army Buhari orders Army, Police, others to kill ballot box snatchers Outrage as Buhari declares death for ballot box snatchers Ballot box: Buhari showing his true colours with death threat – Atiku

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,658 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (6,517 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (6,212 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,639 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,584 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,590 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (4,485 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (4,483 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (4,364 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (4,358 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (4,336 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (4,235 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (835) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (413) SOCIETY (105) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (243) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (20) INTERNATIONAL (31) ENTERTAINMENT (8) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands