Boko Haram: Borno governor blames military for Gubio, Magumeri attacks

By AdvocateNews on 26/08/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,180

Prof. Babagana Zulum
Prof. Babagana Zulum

Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, has blamed the military’s decision to establish “super camps” for last week Wednesday’s attack of Gubio and Magumeri local government areas by Boko Haram insurgents.

He stated this at the weekend after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa.

Zulum was responding to a question on why it was easy for the militants to operate without resistance.

“Well, the most important thing is that there is ongoing military strategy, according to the military authorities, what they called “Establishment of super camps.”

“That entails that all other smaller units in various villages and towns shall be collapsed to form part of the super camps in some critical major local government areas.

“In our thinking, as laymen not as military personnel, we thought this decision is not wise. We must ensure there is military presence in all the locations. We are very much aware of their numerical strength but nonetheless, their absence can create serious vacuum and that has informed the recent attacks.

“However, I heard that the military is now trying to re-establish the military formations in those areas and that they should not form part of the super camps,” the governor said.

Zulum commended the efforts of the civilian JTF.

“Honestly speaking, the civilian JTF are working but the most important thing is that they don’t have the heavy weapons that they can use to conveniently face. So the absence of the Nigerian military in a particular place will create a vacuum in such a way that the civilian JTF and hunters cannot perform effectively.

“I have told Mr. President and he has listened to our complaints, he has done a lot for the people of Borno State and it is our sincere hope that this time around, he will take necessary steps to forestall future occurrence.

“But most importantly, the presence of the Nigerian military in almost all the locations, especially in local government headquarters, need not be overemphasized.”

The governor stressed that it was high time the youths were gainfully engaged to forestall their becoming a veritable tool in the hands of the terrorist sect.

“On my own part as the governor, first of all I wish to call on the people of Borno State to be patient while we try to strengthen the civilian JTF as well as supplement the efforts of the Nigerian military as well as the Nigerian police.

“By and large, we must also address the root causes of the Boko Haram insurgency which is not limited to endemic poverty, pervasive illiteracy, financial and economic hardship, unemployment, environmental degradation, drug abuse among others. We must ensure our youths are employed.

“We shall support the Nigerian police and the Nigerian military, most importantly the gallant civilian JTF and the hunters to ensure that the remnants of Boko Haram are eliminated.”

Posted 26/08/2019 08:54:37 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
#EndSARS: Ganduje suspends media aide for criticising Buhari‎...

FG to create one million jobs from eggs...

Looters, politicians interested in juicy appointments must go...

EFCC arrests 33 suspected internet fraudsters in Calabar...

Enugu LG chairmen have no reason to fail,...

2019: Buhari’s second term will finish Nigeria –...

Edo Palace gate attack was a plot to...

Excerpts from Atiku’s state of the nation address...

DisCos get NERC approval to increase electricity tariff...

FG to employ 774,000 youths to clear gutters,...

Ethno-religious war imminent in Nigeria – Senate warns...

NYCN lauds Gov Bello over appointment of its...

 

Latest News Violence, protests rock APC congresses, factions battle in states Senator Anyanwu emerges South East PDP Consensus candidate for Secretary Policemen allegedly used PoS to extort N25,000, assault passengers We've no business with you, don’t drag us into your Anambra election – IPOB warns INEC NAF denies paying N20m to avoid shooting down Buhari’s plane APC Congress: Three factional chairmen emerge in Akwa Ibom Former US President Bill Clinton released from hospital after treatment for infection Man, 25, kills 50-year-old rival he caught in lover’s room Police detain four officers over viral extortion video ‘We begged women to urinate for us to drink to stay alive’ FIRS to spend N2.8bn on uniforms, N550m on meals I’ll chew you raw if you talk against Oyedepo where I am – Pastor Ibiyeomie

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (187,330 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (187,316 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (187,315 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (187,314 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (187,314 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (187,314 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (187,313 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (187,186 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (183,076 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (182,486 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (146,477 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (144,836 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (6,942) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (131) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (49) INTERNATIONAL (178) ENTERTAINMENT (51) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (38)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.