Protests spread, 125 arrested, police guard embassies, MTN

By AdvocateNews on 05/09/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 2,393


• Nigeria, Malawi issue travel alerts, Zambian radio bans South African songs

• My sister-in-law was burnt alive during attacks, says Nigerian

• Buhari warns against reprisals

Protests against xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa continued on Wednesday with the Federal Government declaring that Nigeria would boycott the World Economic Forum on Africa scheduled for the former apartheid enclave.

Though the Federal Government beefed up security at companies including the MTN and Shoprite linked to South Africa, this could not stop protesters from attacking some of these companies in cities across the nation.

The Federal Government also expressed its determination to end the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa once and for all.

The government’s latest stance came after a morning meeting summoned by President Muhammadu Buhari to review developments so far.

At the meeting were Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyeama.

The meeting resolved that “enough is enough,” adding that this time round, Nigeria would ensure that attacks on its citizens in South Africa must end.

Onyeama, who spoke with State House Correspondents after the meeting, said several measures had been reached and would be unfolded in the days ahead.

He stated that talks with the South African authorities would be detailed this time round and would shape the pattern of the Nigeria-South Africa relations in the years ahead.

Onyeama confirmed that one option considered was that Nigeria’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Ambassador Kabiru Bala, should return home.

However, he clarified that this would be after the special envoy Buhari sent to his South African counterpart, Mr Cyril Ramaphosa, would have concluded the assignment and reported back to the President.

He declined to name the special envoy for “security reasons” but added that he was expected to be back from South Africa by the weekend.

FG may recall ambassador

On the recall of the high commissioner, Onyeama stated that it was one of the options being considered, adding that it was the wish of the government that he had returned home already.

The minister clarified, “It is one of the options we are considering. He will need to come back, but we feel he should come back after the envoy has gone there, so that Mr President will also have the benefits of the full and comprehensive brief from all the individuals who are in the position to have seen things at a close range.”

But Onyeama confirmed that Nigeria had indeed withdrawn its participation at the World Economic Forum on Africa to be held in Capetown, South Africa, from September 4 to 6.

He stated that Osinbajo was delegated by Buhari to attend the summit, but explained that the President later asked him to withdraw on account of the attacks.

The minster cited the examples of Congo, Rwanda and Malawi, whose leaders had also withdrawn their participation, adding that it was natural that Nigeria, being a major victim of the attacks, should withdraw as well.

No Nigerian died in xenophobic attacks –Onyeama

Onyeama also dismissed reports, especially on the social media, suggesting that Nigerians had been killed in the latest attacks.

However, he admitted that their property were vandalised and looted massively, a reason the government demanded compensation for victims.

“The information we have from the High Commission, from the Consul-General in South Africa, is that no Nigerian life has been lost during this crisis. And I think that is very important because on social media, there are a lot of stories going around of Nigerians being killed, jumping off buildings and being burnt. This is not the case.

“What we know is that premises, shops of Nigerians have been looted and property destroyed,” he added.

My brother’s wife was burnt to ashes –Victim’s family

But contrary to report that no Nigerian was killed in the attack in South Africa, a relative of one of the victims, Idiareh Rita, in a WhatsApp message shared by Derin Omowon on ‘Think Oyo WhatsApp platform,’ lamented the killing of his sister in-law.

According to the message Rita stated, “What’s terrible with reprisals from Nigerians? Should I send you a video of how my brother’s electrical shop on Small Street in Johannesburg was looted and his wife burnt to ashes?

“Since our government won’t say or do anything, let everything about South Africa be destroyed, we have been in tears since Monday in my family.”

One of our correspondents put a call through to Rita’s phone number to confirm if her sister in-law’s killing happened during this week’s attacks in South Africa she said, “It is this recent one that happened.”

Asked to give details, Rita amidst sobs said, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Nigeria, Ghana, Malawi issue travel alerts

Besides Nigeria, countries such as Malawi and Ghana took measures to protest their citizens on Wednesday.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Republic of Malawi, in a statement on Wednesday  stated, “As a precautionary measure, the Malawi Government is advising all Malawians living in the Republic of South Africa to stay away from communities where there are incident of violence for their safety.”

The Malawian government advised truck drivers and those who were planning to travel to consider suspending such trips during this period until such a time that the security situation would improve.

On its part, the Ghanaian government urged South Africa to take measures that would ensure peaceful co-existence between South Africans and other Africans.

Foreign ministry advises Nigerians in S’Africa

Also, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advised Nigerians in South Africa against going to volatile and high risk areas until the tense situation was brought under control.

It commended the arrest of 70 suspects in connection with the attacks and looting of shops belonging to some Nigerians by the SA authorities.

The spokesman for the ministry, Ferdinand Nwonye, in a statement assured Nigerians in South Africa of the protection of the Federal Government.

Zambian radio station banned SA songs

Also in protest against xenophobic attacks in South Africa, Zambian students, on Wednesday, embarked on a protest march to the South African High Commission in Lusaka.

According to Sky News, the students, who marched from the University of Zambia to the South African embassy, started a fire in a display of anger against the continued killings of foreign nationals in South Africa.

A video clip emerged online showing irate protesters in Zambia attacking South African-owned Pick n Pay store in Lusaka.

Zambian radio station, Hot FM, has said it will stop playing South African songs in protest.

The radio station wrote on Wednesday on its Twitter handle, @Hot877Zambia: “In light of the xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa, Hot FM will cease to play music by South African artistes on our airwaves until further notice.”

Stop reprisals, it’s hurting Nigeria, says Buhari

On the reprisals on property and companies linked to South Africa in Nigeria, the minster disclosed that Buhari was “totally and completely” against it on the grounds that violence must not be paid back with violence.

Onyeama added that the President felt reprisals would make the world see Nigeria the same way they saw South Africa at the moment.

The minister said, “Mr President is particularly distraught at the act of vandalism that has taken place here in Nigeria, in retaliation of what is happening in South Africa.

“The government believes that we have to take the moral high ground on this matter. We are victims here and have made that position clear to the international community and to the South African government. We here in Nigeria must not fall into the temptation of also resorting to the acts that we are condemning in others.

"So, Mr President has pleaded and he is likely to make a statement on this, addressing the Nigerian people to please desist from acts of vandalism and aggression, destroying properties.

“Now, these business concerns, Shoprite, MTN and others, yes, there are South Africans but these are subsidiaries in Nigeria owned by Nigerians. So, as attacks are made against Shoprite and other such institutions, it is actually the property owned by Nigerians within Nigeria and the people working there are Nigerians.

"So, the people that will suffer from those acts of vandalism and aggression are not South Africans or anyone else but Nigerians. But, morally, it is wrong not even because of who will suffer and not suffer.” --Punch

Posted 05/09/2019 08:34:10 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Obasanjo is back to PDP

Whistle-blower sues FG over alleged N1.9bn commission default...

INTERPOL, court issue fresh arrest warrants for Maina...

Gunmen kidnap Week, Bayelsa Agric Commisioner's father

Gov. Ugwuanyi appoints Mrs. Ifeoma Nwobodo as chairman...

Borno governor donates Sambisa forest for Ruga programme...

Electoral Amendment: Buhari won’t sign any more bills...

Gunmen kill nine people in Benue --Police

Abiola: We won’t fall for Buhari’s cheap trick...

2019: Buhari is a failure, incompetent – Obasanjo...

Boko Haram attacks another Army base, kills soldier,...

Atiku: An Inch Away From PDP Presidential Ticket...

 

Latest News NAF helicopter crashes in Enugu Kogi guber: I am ready to defend allegations against me — Gov. Bello tells court Photos: Aisha Buhari attends APC’s mega rally in Lokoja KOGI, BAYELSA DECIDE TODAY: PDP's Wada battles APC's Bello in Kogi Peace Mass Transit Chairman honoured for returning N2.2bn Suspected thugs storm Kogi PDP Governorship Candidate’s Polling Unit Kogi: Yahaya Bello, APC forcing INEC, NYSC officials to sign prefilled Results Sheets, PDP alleges Another Reverend Father kidnapped in Enugu Guber Polls: Protect your votes, PDP tells Kogi, Bayelsa people Kogi Decides: Sporadic shooting, as thugs snatch 8 ballot boxes, card readers Kogi Decides: 3 killed as thugs snatch ballot boxes in Lokoja Mother on deathbed says 12-year-old son is offspring of Human-Chimpanzee Love Affair

 

Most Read Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (15,384 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (15,156 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (14,353 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (13,324 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (12,850 views) Sickle cell support group seeks lgovernment intervention (12,375 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (12,141 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (11,214 views) Israel serves quit notice to African illegal migrants (10,906 views) The Big Kick-off: World greatest sports fiesta begins in Russia (10,828 views) France wins 2018 World Cup Final (10,729 views) England beat Spain to win U17 World Cup final (10,710 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (1,912) EDITORIAL (8) POLITICS (434) SOCIETY (114) SPORTS (22) BUSINESS (290) HEALTH (18) EDUCATION (28) ENTERTAINMENT (15) INTERNATIONAL (40) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (15)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands