Xenophobic attacks: No compensation for victims, says South African govt

By AdvocateNews on 06/09/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,332


The South African government has told victims of recent xenophobic attacks not to expect any form of compensation.

Dr. Naledi Pandor, Minister of the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, said there was no provision for compensating those affected in the renewed attacks in the country.

In an interview with Reuters, Pandor said her country’s laws do not have provisions for such matters.

This is coming on the heels of officials of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration saying Nigeria would seek redress.

Speaking in Abuja, Wednesday, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, insisted the Federal Government would press for compensation for the attacks and destruction of the businesses of Nigerians in South Africa.

The Federal Government had earlier demanded that Nigerians involved in the attacks should be recompensed.

“Full compensation has to be paid because, as we have discovered from previous experience, a lot of Nigerians lose their property and it is a long-drawn-out process and very often they are not compensated for it. But on this occasion, the Nigerian government is going to fight for full compensation and hold the government of South Africa to count,” the minister said at a press conference in Abuja on Wednesday.

Adetola Olubajo, president of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, said Nigerians lost property worth millions of dollars in the attacks.

The Federal Government has also said it was unaware the South African government shut down its missions in Nigeria. Onyeama said this while answering questions from State House correspondents at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

“We are not aware that the South African government has closed down its high commission here in Abuja or its consulate in Lagos.”

The government of South Africa, yesterday, said it shut down its high commission in Abuja and the consulate in Lagos indefinitely following threats against the mission’s staff, as well as the property of South Africa in Nigeria.

The South African acting high commissioner to Nigeria, Bobby Moroe, yesterday confirmed the closure of the country’s missions.

Moroe said the closure was sequel to a directive from his country’s government. The envoy said he had subsequently directed the Abuja and Lagos offices to suspend all consular activities until the situation improved.

The acting head of mission said the closure was necessitated by fear of attacks by some Nigerian youths.

The South African government had, in a statement by Pandor, announced the closure.

Pandor expressed disappointment over the decision to support the closure of the South African high commission and consulate.

She said both offices were closed following concerns reported to the minister by officials working in those places.

“After extensive consultations with relevant stakeholders as well as a security assessment of threats, the mission and the department took the decision to close the offices.

“At this point, there has been no direct physical threat to any of our diplomats and citizens.

“However, we view their safety as a priority and have thus taken the precautionary measure of closing while the situation remains somewhat unpredictable.’’

The minister expressed displeasure at misleading reports circulating on social media about a physical attack on the acting head of mission. She described the reports as totally false.

Pandor said tradition in foreign policy provided that diplomatic missions enjoyed protection from host countries but added that the department remained perturbed at threats directed at the mission.

“We are grateful to note that the security forces and the government of Nigeria are upholding this long-established practice of foreign policy,” she said.

She confirmed a directive to the mission that links be encouraged between the youth of South Africa and Nigeria and that the Nigerian students’ association visit South Africa.

In a related development, Onyeama has defended some governors and other Nigerians attending the World Economic Forum (WEF), despite the Federal Government’s withdrawal from the summit.

He explained that the governors and other individuals were already in South Africa before a decision was reached for Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, who was to represent the country, to boycott the WEF due to the attacks.

He further explained that the WEF was an international function, which was not organised by South Africa.

The governors in South Africa include the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, and Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State. Emir of Kano, Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi II, is also said to be in Cape Town.

Posted 06/09/2019 02:44:33 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
I didn’t defraud FG of N51bn, N2.5bn –Buhari’s...

Visit Kano 'immediately', investigate rising deaths, PDP tells...

3rd wave: Nigeria at high risk of surge...

States fail to remit N3.4bn pension deductions to...

Suspected cult group kills three in Anambra again...

Insufficient manpower: Police settle for part-time special constables...

June 12: Protest suffers low turn out, clashes...

Enugu govt awards additional NI.I70bn road contracts

Tiwa Savage, Seyi Shay fight dirty inside Lagos...

Amechi Bridge: Gov. Ugwuanyi has wiped away my...

Enugu summons LG boss, Monarch over building demolition...

Killings: Miyetti Allah rejects calls for sack of...

 

Latest News GOC says welfare of personnel remains priority of military Biafra: Business in Southeast crumbling, IPOB must end sit-at-home now – Ohanaeze Political opponents abducted Anambra Labour Party’s Gov candidate, party alleges Aviation stakeholders hail Gov. Ugwuanyi’s commitment to air safety Afenifere to Buhari: Ignore Gumi, declare bandits as terrorists UN issues ‘Urgent Appeals’ to Nigeria, Kenya, seeking explanation for Nnamdi Kanu’s illegal abduction, detention, others 22 governors apply as FG disburses model ranch funds next week Benue: Ortom assents to law to empower volunteer guards bear weapons Former Enugu SSG, Dan Agbo, is dead Zamfara: Residents flee as bandits attack ten communities in one week Senate committee approves N1,000 daily feeding allowance for prison inmates PDP demands probe of Justice Aliyu Usman by NJC for entertaining Secondus’ case

 

Most Read FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (194,305 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (194,304 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (194,303 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (194,298 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (194,298 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (194,297 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (194,295 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (194,181 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (189,623 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (188,909 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (150,372 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (148,687 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (7,025) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (132) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (50) ENTERTAINMENT (51) INTERNATIONAL (178) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (40)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.