Tribunal: Presidency condemns media report, says Buhari retracted nothing

By AdvocateNews on 15/09/2019

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 725

President Muhammadu Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari

The Presidency has condemned what it described as ”a twisted story with malicious intent” which was published in Saturday Punch of Sept. 14, with the headline; “Tribunal: Buhari retracts, confesses he was under tension.”

The news story was derived from what the President said when he received All Progressives Congress (APC) governors, who had come to felicitate with him at State House, Abuja on Friday.

The President’s spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, in a statement in Abuja on Saturday, said the newspaper was being mischievous by trying to link up what the president said in an earlier statement (on the judgment) with his remarks during the Friday visit.

The statement read part: ”Referring specifically to judgment day by the tribunal, which coincided with the maiden meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), President Buhari had said: “It was a fabulous coincidence that it came almost the same time the first FEC meeting of this government was taking place.

“It lasted about the same time with the judgment. I thank God for that because I think I would have gone into trauma or something. So, I was busy trying to concentrate on the memos.

”An elementary understanding of the English language shows that President Buhari was talking specifically of the day and time of the court ruling, not before.

”Saturday Punch went further to say that the President’s remarks amounted to a retraction of his earlier statement, in which he said he had been unperturbed about the judicial challenge to his electoral victory.

”Hear the statement personally approved earlier on Wednesday by the President: ‘Good conscience fears no evil report. I was unperturbed all along because I knew Nigerians freely gave us the mandate. We are now vindicated.’

”I was unperturbed all along… Was that referring to judgment day? A simple comprehension of English language indicates otherwise. It referred to the many months the case lasted in court.”

The presidential aide further frowned at the allegation by the newspaper that the President may not have been privy to the earlier statement that emanated from his media office.

He said: ”To further show malice and evil intent, the newspaper indicated that the President may not have been privy to the earlier statement that emanated from his media office. Who does that, for such a landmark development, without the consent of the principal?

”As a piece of information, the President personally approved the statement for release, as the FEC meeting was winding to a close.

”If stories end up being dumped in Saturday Punch without the editor approving it, then the newspaper should not use such pedestrian standard in judging the media office of the President.”

Posted 15/09/2019 06:41:16 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Kidnappers received N300m ransom for 500 Kaduna Christians...

BBNaija sex: UK police may fire Khafi

Travellers, motorists stranded as petrol sells for N400...

Ekiti Assembly suspends ‘sleeping honourable’

FAAC: FG, States, LGs share N788.13bn for October...

Oshiomhole begs Saraki, others to remain in APC...

2019: Atiku meets Clark, Adebanjo, Nwodo other regional...

2019: How we plan to unseat Buhari –...

Ortom dumps APC, explains why…

Coronavirus: Monkeys 'escape with COVID-19 samples' after attacking...

INCEST: Catholic priest cleanses community with 7 virgins...

Atiku seeks probe of allegation linking Buhari’s family...

 

Latest News CoVID-19 Update: Enugu records nine new cases, total now 27 COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor positive Suspected ritualists kill Ekiti 78-year-old widow Dr Jumbo Offor, S’East PSC rep, is dead Former Ondo gov, Olumilua, is dead COVID-19 kills 20 journalists in Peru UNIBEN student murder: FG orders investigation of student’s gang-rape, murder, abuse of minor Senate approves Buhari’s $5.513bn External Borrowing request 24 female victims accuse student of rape on Twitter COVID-19: Govt advises citizens of 55 and above to avoid mosques, churches Boko Haram built battle trenches in Borno community –DHQ Man sentenced to death for killing father over will

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (33,771 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (25,560 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (17,165 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (16,887 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (16,025 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (15,462 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (14,954 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (14,019 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (13,783 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (13,078 views) France wins 2018 World Cup Final (12,473 views) The Big Kick-off: World greatest sports fiesta begins in Russia (12,413 views)

 

SECTIONS EDITORIAL (10) NEWS (2,675) POLITICS (443) SOCIETY (118) SPORTS (27) BUSINESS (305) HEALTH (38) EDUCATION (30) INTERNATIONAL (65) ENTERTAINMENT (18) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (1) OPINION (21)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands