10 killed as China Quarantine Hotel collapses

By AdvocateNews on 08/03/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 2,067

A boy rescued from the rubble of a collapsed hotel in Quanzhou, China
A boy rescued from the rubble of a collapsed hotel in Quanzhou, China

At least ten people were killed in the collapse of a hotel used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in eastern China, authorities said Sunday.

Rescuers pulled 48 people from the rubble, of whom 38 are still alive, the Ministry of Emergency Management said on social media.

The building in the coastal city of Quanzhou had been repurposed to house people who recently had contact with patients confirmed with COVID-19, the state-run People’s Daily newspaper reported.

The city has recorded 47 cases of the virus.

Video posted online by the ministry’s firefighting department showed rescuers helping children don surgical masks before pulling them from the wreckage of the six-storey Xinjia hotel.

 

A 12-year-old boy told rescuers his mother was still buried in the rubble.

 

“She was next to me just now,” he said in the video. His mother was rescued alive hours later, according to the ministry.

 

Another video released by the ministry showed rescuers squirting water from a bottle into the mouth of a trapped man.

 

Rescuers were also seen spraying disinfectant on each other as part of “strict decontamination” measures between shifts.

 

Collapsed in Seconds

Footage published by local media appears to show the hotel collapsing in seconds, with the building’s facade crumbling to the ground, exposing the structure’s steel frame.

Nine people escaped on their own, the ministry said.

The first floor had been undergoing renovation since before the Lunar New Year holiday, and construction workers called the hotel’s owner minutes before the collapse to report a deformed pillar, authorities said.

The owner has been summoned by police while investigators work to determine whether the renovation or an original structural issue was at fault, according to the ministry.

Fifty-eight people who had recently been in regions hard hit by COVID-19 were being quarantined in the hotel but all had tested negative for the virus, local newspaper Quanzhou Evening News reported Sunday.

More than 800 rescuers and 750 medical staff were deployed for the rescue effort along with 20 ambulances, the ministry said.

China’s National Health Commission said it was sending to Quanzhou 18 medical experts from the nearby cities of Fuzhou and Xiamen.

Building collapses and other deadly construction accidents have typically been blamed on the country’s rapid economic growth, which has led to corner-cutting by builders and the flouting of safety rules.

At least 20 people died in 2016 when a series of crudely-constructed multi-story buildings packed with migrant workers collapsed in the eastern city of Wenzhou.

Another 10 were killed last year in Shanghai after the collapse of a commercial building during renovations.

Posted 08/03/2020 7:20:01 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
SEEDS OF DESTINY JAN 22, 2021: THE PRACTICALITY...

Man kills friend, dumps body inside well over...

Fresh crisis looms as Senate vires N189bn INEC...

Nigerians ‘ll vote out Buhari on February 23,...

INEC recorded 41 attacks on its facilities in...

Buhari sends Fayemi to woo Omisore for rerun...

602 repentant Boko Haram insurgents swear allegiance to...

Buhari, APC selling Nigeria – PDP ...condemns fresh...

Freezing Benue State account unconstitutional – Governors

Anambra finally becomes Oil Producing State, to benefit...

Avoid secessionists, Fed Govt tells Nigerians

Coronavirus now at 300,000 cases worldwide, spreading faster...

 

Latest News Insecurity: Royal Navy Warship arrives in Lagos IPOB threatens a week sit-at-home from November 4 if Kanu is not released Police forced me to borrow N35,000 from online platform to pay bribe – Singer Herdsmen kidnap Enugu fashion designer, demand N2m ramsom Man puts himself up for sale for N20m in Kano Oronsaye report: FG budgets N900bn for agencies recommended for scrapping Gunmen attack police station in Ebonyi; 3 policemen feared dead Low passenger turnout as Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes operations We do not impose multiple taxes, levies on private schools ― Enugu Govt Sit-at-home: You won’t enslave Ndigbo for one week – Ohanaeze tells IPOB 36 Speakers to Buhari: Declare bandits terrorists EFCC arraigns Cecilia Osipitan for N6bn PHCN insurance benefit fraud

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (191,646 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (191,643 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (191,642 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (191,640 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (191,638 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (191,638 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (191,637 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (191,504 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (187,104 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (186,417 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (148,816 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (147,116 views)

 

 

SECTIONS NEWS (7,001) FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (18) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (132) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (50) ENTERTAINMENT (51) INTERNATIONAL (178) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (39)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.