COVID-19: Fear grips health workers as two Edo doctors test positive

By AdvocateNews on 05/04/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,385


… decry lack of personal protective equipment as cases rise to 214

There has been panic among medical workers at the Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, Edo State, after two doctors tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday.

It was gathered that the two affected doctors worked at the facility’s Pathology and Obstetrics and Gynecology departments.

A senior medical officer at the hospital, who spoke with one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity, said the two doctors were currently in isolation in their different homes.

The source said the doctors became infected after attending to two patients without protective gear and unknown to them that the patients were carriers of the virus.

ISTH is a World Health Organisation-recognised centre for Lassa fever research and treatment in Africa.

According to the source, the doctors began to exhibit the commonly known symptoms of COVlD-19 after attending to the patients. The tests ran on them however came out positive.

This came as the number of cases in the country rose to 214 on Saturday with five new cases recorded in Bauchi and the Federal Capital Territory.

Bauchi had three while the FCT had two. The number of deaths has risen to four while 25 persons have so far been discharged in Edo and Ekiti states.

Overall, Lagos State, with the highest in the country, has 109 cases; Osun (20 cases); Oyo (nine); Akwa Ibom (five); Ogun (four); Edo (seven); Kaduna (four); Bauchi (six); Enugu (two); Ekiti (two); Rivers (one); Benue (one) and Ondo (one), which was confirmed on Friday evening, and the Federal Capital Territory with 43 cases. As of Saturday night, however, the number of cases across the world had risen to 1,196,049 cases, out of which 246,110 had recovered and 64,542 had died.

Meanwhile, the source said, “The tests were well done. lrrua, as you know, has been at the forefront of combating Lassa fever and is equipped. Sadly, the tests were positive. The victims are resident doctors in their mid-thirties. One of the doctors met with one of the patients 10 days after returning from Lagos where he went to put finishing touches to overseas travel plans.

“We don’t have personal protective equipment; no enough face masks, hand sanitisers and hand gloves. The doctors were doing their normal work. The centre where the two doctors worked was involved in the treatment of coronavirus at lrrua. The two patients infected two doctors in two separate departments in the facility.

“What is clear now to everybody is that the two affected doctors didn’t know that the patients they were talking to and examining were carrying the virus. Most people with the virus were usually asymptomatic at the beginning. There was no prior knowledge of the medical condition of the two patients.

“These two unknown patients must have mixed with others maybe while awaiting consultation and all that. The required social distancing was not enforced. The two doctors went home and probably met with their family members and other patients in their private practice. You see the pattern of spread. It took a while before the situation came to the limelight.

“We usually leave this kind of crisis in the hands of physicians because they are the ones who manage internal medicine and immune status of patients. If it’s mostly respiratory system disease, that is also within their purview.

“It’s only when complications occur and we are not talking about intensive care unit, incubating and putting patients on ventilators that you require the input of an episiologist and intensivist. And at that point, it becomes a multidisciplinary kind of treatment.”

Also, a nurse at the hospital told Sunday PUNCH that though the CMD wasn’t around when the news broke, he had been informed of the development.

The nurse added, “The system doesn’t provide for the safety of doctors and the hazard allowance for an average doctor in Nigeria is N5,000 monthly.”

The nurse said there were fears at the hospital as many nurses had been filing for their annual leave to stay away from the facility. The source added, “Many people have applied for their annual leave but I wouldn’t know if they have been approved. I can’t risk my life working in a facility where there is no PPE. Even a consultant has shut down his outpatient clinic for lack of PPE at the hospital.”

On Friday, President, National Association of Resident Doctors, Dr Aliyu Sokomba, said a doctor at the teaching hospital had tested positive for the coronavirus. He spoke during a live programme in Benin City.

Meanwhile, other reliable sources at the ISTH said there had been panic at the centre since the outbreak of the virus in the state. An official told one of our correspondents on condition of anonymity that nurses were rushing to proceed on their annual leave to avoid the virus.

The official noted that helicopters had been flying in blood samples from various cities for screening at the hospital. The isolation centre for coronavirus patients in the hospital is a building still under construction.

Also, a medical doctor noted that they preferred those who tested positive to stay in isolation in their homes.

Most of the offices visited in the hospital were near empty in compliance with government’s stay at home directive to level one to twelve workers.

Although there was no patient in the isolation centre at the ISTH but a source said there were cases of COVID-19 in the hospital but that the management was trying to manage the information so as not to cause panic.

The source said, “You know if they announce the numbers, there will be panic, even health workers will start running away. Already many have started applying for their annual leave. As I’m talking, we don’t have hand sanitisers. Thank God for the rain that gives water. We don’t have our protective gadgets too, they are in short supply.

“There was a case of a lady from Ondo State who came to visit her boyfriend in Ekpoma. She was admitted for pneumonia. After two or three days, we noticed that the symptoms the girl was exhibiting were not for ordinary pneumonia. We had to take her blood sample and at the end of the test she came out positive. It is possible that the  majority of the patients in that ward were infected and the people she had contact with could also have been infected and there was no contact tracing.”

Our source further stated that all the cases of COVID-19 were being handled by the Lassa fever unit because they had not created a unit or isolation place for them.

“Yes, there have been cases but as a worker here we cannot say it out because they will say one is going against the ethics. So it is what they give to the media that will be reported,” the source added.

On why the doctors and nurses were scared, our source said they had genuine reasons because they were also afraid for their safety.

The source said, “Take for example, when I came to work today, the face mask was scarce and no hand sanitiser and the face mask is key. I can do without hand sanitiser.

“For washing of hands, I can use methylated spirits and I can use morning fresh but the face mask, when you go close to a patient to take the body temperature or blood pressure, they will breathe directly on your face.

“You cannot take your face away because you are attending to a patient. Also, you need to have face-to-face contact with them and because I don’t have the face mask I have to isolate myself. That is the truth.”

The source said what many of them were doing now in many of the hospitals around was to improvise the face mask by using toilet paper.

Another source in the hospital said there were palpable fears because the hospital could not continue to keep the COVID-19 patients with Lassa fever patients.

“That will only complicate issues,” the source said. “I saw the second-in-command to the CMD going round the uncompleted building yesterday, trying to see what they could do because of the danger involved in keeping them with Lassa fever patients.

“I hope the government will send some of the billions of naira they said they are spending on this coronavirus to us to complete the building.

“The United States has mopped up all the ventilators and so you can hardly find ventilators to buy at this time. Let all our senators go and enjoy their abandoned constituency projects now. I think this is good for us anyway, maybe we will learn our lesson.” -Punch

Posted 05/04/2020 07:56:25 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
MAGU: Vehicles recovered by EFCC were auctioned to...

Nigeria now more divided, in danger – Obasanjo...

Gunmen raze Anambra police zonal headquarters

Three internet fraudsters jailed in Enugu

In New York, Ekweremadu Canvasses Constitutional Reforms, Single...

Supreme Court returns Pinnick, Giwa to High Court...

Gov Umahi denies statement accusing APGA, Obiano, Soludo...

Catholic Church returns to CAN

Uzodinma to Policemen: Defend yourself against IPOB members,...

Nigerian Army issues stern warning to Sunday Igboho,...

Netflix buys Kanye West Documentary for $30m

Man buries grandson alive in Bauchi

 

Latest News Belonging to Biafra is not by force — IPOB FACT CHECK: Is this picture of Don Jazzy in Biafra-themed outfit real? Extortion: Protesting tricycle operators ground commercial activities in Onitsha Army blocks Bakassi entrance as ultimatum by Biafra activists ends Alleged killing of defenseless Igbo, razing 100 communities in S-East: Army slams Inter-Society for ‘misleading claims aimed at inciting public’ 8 killed, property destroyed as Taraba communities clash Why I slit 11-year-old’s throat —Borno teenage student Biafra activists chase away police officers, dismantle checkpoint Buhari mourns five-year-old pupil kidnapped, killed by her teacher 3 docked over alleged killing of 7-year-old girl in Benue 2023: They’re planning to compromise security, INEC to gain victory – Afenifere UK raises alarm N’Assembly orders probe of 178,459 missing police riffles

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (261,914 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (261,912 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (261,912 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (261,910 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (261,910 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (261,909 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (261,908 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (261,907 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (254,526 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (253,560 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (195,739 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (194,033 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (21) NEWS (7,834) POLITICS (497) SOCIETY (133) SPORTS (61) BUSINESS (376) HEALTH (60) EDUCATION (51) ENTERTAINMENT (57) INTERNATIONAL (186) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (42)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.