Palliative: Customs yet to release 110 trucks of rice to us, says minister

By AdvocateNews on 15/04/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,816

Hajiya Sadiya Farouq
Hajiya Sadiya Farouq

One hundred and ten trucks of seized rice which President Muhammadu Buhari directed the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) to  hand over to Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development for distribution to Nigerians are yet to be delivered.

Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Farouq, would disclosed this on Tuesday, said only 40 trucks of the seized rice have been given to her ministry for distribution as palliatives to cushion the effects of lockdown on Nigerians.

The President had ordered the NCS to give 150 trucks of rice it seized from smugglers to the 36 states.

Finance, Budget and National Planning Minister Mrs. Zainab Ahmed said the seized rice has been handed over to the ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development for distribution to Nigerians.

But Farouq said her ministry had only taken delivery of 40 trucks. She spoke in Abuja yesterday at the daily briefing by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.

On the 150 trucks from Customs, she said: “This is what was pledged by Customs but so far, we have only 40 trucks available. We have been able to collect 20 trucks of rice from Lagos depot and we have given Lagos state their share and we have taken to Ogun while the one for FCT is on the way.

“We have also given to Imo and Ebonyi state. We gave two trucks of rice to Ebonyi and three trucks to Imo.

“Why we have a disparity in number is because we are supposed to get 19 trucks from the Onne depot but unfortunately, we were only able to get five but we are still in talks with Nigeria Customs to see how we can get the balance.”

The minister also said that Lagos and Ogun states have just commenced the registration and capturing of beneficiaries that will be under the Conditional Cash Transfer Programme.

“Last week, when I visited Ogun, they were in the process of doing the registration for the conditional cash transfer because Ogun was not in the programme and also Lagos.

“We have started the process of the registration of the capturing of the beneficiaries for the conditional cash transfer but for the other palliatives, we have taken to Ogun state and Lagos state.”

On the continuation of the school feeding programme despite the closure of schools, the minister said the ministry has put modalities in place to ensure that malnourished children are fed despite the lockdown.

Posted 15/04/2020 04:29:22 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Abdulrahman replaces Enugu Police Commissioner

2023: Northern youths protest APC governors’ decision on...

BREAKING: FG suspends Twitter 'operations' in Nigeria

SEEDS OF DESTINY TODAY: MORE FOCUS FOR OUR...

Anglican Church opposes RUGA policy

Health workers threaten to join doctors on strike...

Gallant pilot returns to base after bandits shot...

COVID-19: Nigeria facing worst recession in 40 years,...

Obasanjo denies supporting Buhari … says even morons...

Akpabio links Nigeria’s insecurity to Gaddafi’s fall

25 Corps Members test positive for COVID-19 in...

Baptist Church loses 35 members to bandits, 145...

 

Latest News Yahaya Bello orders closure of brothels, bans use of face masks in Kogi ‘US kills terrorists, Nigeria pampers them’ - Femi Fani-Kayode Residents flee as unknown gunmen kill 7 in Imo Suspect who beat Nigerian to death in Italy arrested 2023: Lalong, Oshiomhole lead APC’s campaign team Bandits: We’ll continue to fight for justice – Southern Kaduna 2023: Obi support group slams Tinubu for wishing Peter Obi and supporters dead, tells INEC to call him to order Terror fears force NRC to suspend Lagos-Kano, Ajaokuta train services FG purchases N1.4bn vehicles for Niger Republic, justifies action NBC fines DSTV, TSTV, NTA, Trust TV N20m over Documentary on Banditry ...Says fines must be paid in 27 days Gunmen kidnap gold miner in Osun, demand N100m ransom NASS vs Buhari: Uncertainty as Buhari faces impeachment threat in last days

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (427,467 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (427,467 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (427,467 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (427,467 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (427,466 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (427,466 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (427,466 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (427,465 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (427,465 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (419,584 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (355,866 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (354,810 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (159) EDITORIAL (25) NEWS (9,907) POLITICS (519) SOCIETY (135) SPORTS (67) BUSINESS (380) HEALTH (63) EDUCATION (53) INTERNATIONAL (232) ENTERTAINMENT (65) TECHNOLOGY (8) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (47)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.