20 dead, 50 wounded, as terrorists hit prison, free 300 inmates

By AdvocateNews on 03/08/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 4,239


At least 29 people are dead and 50 injured after ISIS attacked a prison in Afghanistan, sparking a two-day battle that saw 300 inmates including jihadis freed. 

The attack began Sunday when an ISIS militant drove a van filled with explosives up to the prison gates and detonated it, before gunmen opened fire.

Attackers then streamed into the jail through the breach, shooting dead civilians, guards and rival militants including Al Qaeda prisoners as they opened the cells.

Around 1,350 of the jail's 1,800 inmates - including many ISIS fighters - are thought to have escaped, with more than 300 still missing. 400 stayed in the prison.

Gunmen then bedded down in the prison and surrounding buildings, fighting running gun battles with security forces who tried to retake it. 

Defense Ministry spokesman Fawad Aman said the prison was taken back in the afternoon on Monday. The fighting also left at least 50 wounded.

At least eight militants were also killed during the fighting. 

Even as Afghan troops seized the prison in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province, some 70 miles east of Kabul, ISIS fighters continued to fire on them from a nearby neighborhood.

Sporadic gunfire rang out from nearby residential buildings in central Jalalabad, an area of high security near the provincial governor's office.

As security forces swept through the prison, they found the bodies of two Taliban prisoners apparently killed by the Islamic State group. 

The ISIS affiliate in Afghanistan, known as IS in Khorasan province and headquartered in Nangarhar province, later claimed responsibility for the attack. 

The attack came a day after authorities said Afghan special forces killed a senior Islamic State commander near Jalalabad. 

Several hundred prisoners in Jalalabad are believed to be ISIS members.

Following the collapse of its so-called Caliphate, ISIS has transitioned into a guerrilla fighting force waging wars in the Middle East and Africa. 

In Afghanistan, the terror group is at war with US, Afghan and Taliban forces - which are currently trying to strike a peace deal. 

The US struck a deal with the Taliban in February. A second, crucial round of negotiations between the Taliban and the leadership in Kabul has yet to start. 

The Taliban's political spokesman, Suhail Shaheen, told The Associated Press that his group was not involved in the Jalalabad attack. 

The Taliban had declared a three-day cease-fire starting last Friday for the major Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha. 

The cease-fire expired at 12 a.m. Monday.

"We have a cease-fire and are not involved in any of these attacks anywhere in the country," Shaheen said.

The Taliban also had denied being involved in a suicide bombing in eastern Logar province late Thursday that killed at least nine people and wounded 40.

Afghanistan has seen a recent spike in violence, with most attacks claimed by the local IS affiliate. 

A United Nations report last month estimated there are around 2,200 IS members in Afghanistan.

Posted 03/08/2020 6:56:44 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Sanusi sues Police IG, DSS, AGF, others over...

APC faults appointment of APGA member as Gbajabiamila's...

Gov. Ugwuanyi mourns Senator Okoro

Breaking: Wife of Late Chijioke Ugwueze emerges PDP...

Social media regulation will hinder freedom of speech...

Umahi stops Flavour from performing in Ebonyi

Buhari snoring while Nigeria sinks under him –...

Drunken truck driver falls from Lagos bridge, drowns...

Sowore storms court with witch doctor

Kidnap Kingpin, Evans sues Police for seizing his...

May Day: FG not ignoring workers’ demands, rights...

Reps approve June 12 as Democracy Day

 

Latest News Printing of N60bn by CBN, wake up call for Buhari, APC – PDP warns Police confirm death of Abuja pastor, Evans Unaegbu Buhari snoring while Nigeria sinks under him – Dino Melaye Nine govs stealing LG funds through cronies–NULGE Abductors of Kaduna students demand N500 million ransom Police arrest Woman for poisoning 3-year-old stepson with Sniper Insecticide Forces against NIN policy behind attacks against me – Pantami SEEDS OF DESTINY APRIL 17, 2021: UNDERSTANDING RESPONSIBILITY Bandits kill nine, rustle 500 cattle in Sokoto village Pst Enenche hails Kogi Gov on response to COVID-19 FEARS ABOUT EBUBEAGU, EASTERN SECURITY NETWORK Patients protest poor food, sanitation at ESUT teaching hospital

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (84,158 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (72,267 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (68,811 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (68,810 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (68,809 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (68,808 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (68,808 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (68,711 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (67,485 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (66,795 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (56,394 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (54,405 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (99) EDITORIAL (14) NEWS (4,963) POLITICS (482) SOCIETY (125) SPORTS (43) BUSINESS (346) HEALTH (50) EDUCATION (44) ENTERTAINMENT (33) INTERNATIONAL (143) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (3) OPINION (32)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.