COVID-19 guidelines violation: PTF blames govs for crowds at Edo rallies, Kashamu’s burial

By AdvocateNews on 11/08/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,211

Dr Sani Aliyu
Dr Sani Aliyu

* 85 LGs in 20 states yet to conduct coronavirus test, says task force

* Go into isolation, Ogun tells mourners at late businessman’s burial

* 200 COVID-19 deaths have been recorded in Lagos – Commissioner

The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has blamed governors, traditional and religious leaders  for allowing crowds to gather and break safety protocols during electioneering in Edo State and burial of Senator Buruji Kashamu in Ogun State.

The PTF, at its national press briefing on Monday, said it was dismayed by the development.

Kashamu, who died on Saturday at the First Cardiology Consultants Hospital, Lagos, from COVID-19 complications, was buried in his Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun State, home on Sunday, with a large crowd in attendance in deviance to safety protocols.

Both the All Progressives Congress and the Peoples Democratic Party have also held campaign rallies in Edo State ahead of the September 19 governorship election.

The National Coordinator of the PTF, Dr Sani Aliyu, was asked about the large crowds at the  campaigns and at the burial, where social distancing rule was broken and many people failed to wear face masks.

Responding, Aliyu said, “I must say that we are dismayed with the level of compliance, when it comes to some of these activities.

“The issue is; we know that COVID-19 does not act like a proper pandemic. If you have a proper pandemic like Ebola, as I have always said, you will have dead bodies on the streets, people bleeding to death; that sharp factor is there and we do not need to do anything further to convince people to protect themselves  and to do the right thing.

“We are faced with a pandemic that is an invisible enemy; we are faced with a pandemic where the majority of us would probably not have come across somebody with COVID-19.”

Aliyu said  leaders in the respective states failed to ensure compliance with protocols at the events, urging them to ensure more enforcement of safety guidelines.

Aliyu also stated, “When it comes to wearing of (face) mask for instance; when you wear a mask, it is actually an act of kindness and caring. What you are saying is that you care about the people that you will meet; you don’t want to infect them with COVID-19.

“The same thing applies when it comes to social distancing. It is much easier to be proactive. It is much easier for civil authorities, leaders and governors to make sure that those situations that pose a risk of mass gathering are avoided.”

He said Nigeria was  lucky that it had not recorded the high number of deaths that other countries had recorded.

Aliyu stated, “Nevertheless, a lot of people have died – close to a thousand Nigerians have died – that would have still been with us today if not for COVID-19.

“We certainly have to continue to engage Nigerians, enlighten them and encourage them to take those simple steps that are necessary to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

The National Coordinator said the PTF would continue to urge the states to step up their enforcement of safety protocols and guidelines, especially those who had established mobile courts to try offenders.

Responding to a question on a World Bank credit facility to Nigeria in the fight against the pandemic, Aliyu said the $114m approved by the global bank was a credit facility to the Federal Government but would serve as a grant to the states.

85 LGs in 20 states yet to conduct COVID-19 test

The Chairman of the PTF, Boss Mustapha, disclosed that 85 local government areas in the country had so far not conducted any COVID-19 test.

As a result of this, he said the affected local government areas in the 20 states had not reported any case of the virus.

He added that five states still account for 60 per cent of confirmed cases while 50 per cent of all cases were in 20 per cent local governments.

The Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, on his part regretted that Nigeria had lost 945 persons to the COVID-19 infection.

He said, “The figures show that Nigeria is also sadly approaching the symbolic 1,000 number of fatalities, a grim reality that should be a wake-up call for us.

“Many more Nigerians today personally knew a person who succumbed to COVID-19, and so I ask that we remind ourselves today that COVID-19 is still with us and will be for a long time.

“Until there is a vaccine, the only options we have to protect ourselves, are still the non-pharmaceutical measures that are proved to be cheap and effective, such as the appropriate use of face masks, physical distancing and avoiding crowds. If we do not adhere, there could be regrets. “

FG, NHIS mull new health insurance package

He added that Federal Government had started working with the National Health Insurance Scheme to create a new package of health benefits for Nigerians.

According to Ehanire, the package of health benefits, which would be more robust than before, would take care of a lot of basic illnesses that had to be covered by out of pockets.

Speaking on the delay in paying hazard allowance of health personnel frontline workers involved in the Coronavirus pandemic, he said it was due to human error.

On his part, Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, said he was impressed with the conduct of school managements and students following the reopening of schools nationwide.

Go into self-isolation, Ogun tells Kashamu’s mourners

Meanwhile, the Ogun State Government on Monday, advised  mourners at the burial of  Kashamu to go into self-isolation to curb the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

The  Special Adviser to the state  Governor  on Public Communications, Remmy Hazzan, said.

Hazzan said the government would step up the surveillance team around Ijebu-igbo and neighbouring communities to ensure anybody with COVID-19 symptoms would be immediately tested.

Hazzan confessed that the government never envisaged  such a surging  crowd at the burial of the former senator.

Hazzan said “The state ministry of health will be making a statement which will be like a protocol for everyone who attended the burial and I am sure it is going to be more like advice for them to self-isolate.”

Lagos  recorded 200 COVID-19 deaths, 1,400 shunned admission – Commissioner

In a related development, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health Prof. Akin Abayomi, on Monday said the state had recorded 200 COVID-19 related deaths as of August 8.

Abayomi, via his Twitter handle, @ProfAkinAbayomi, on Monday said 2,269 COVID-19 patients had been discharged from various isolation centres in the state following their full recovery from the virus.

He tweeted, “The total number of COVID-19 tests conducted so far in Lagos now stands at 68,929; 2,269 of the confirmed cases have since been discharged from COVID-19 care centres following full recovery. The total number of COVID-19 related deaths now stands at 200 as of August 8.

“11,860 of the confirmed cases monitored in communities by the COVID-19 Lagos response team have either fully recovered or positively responding to treatments; 68 of the cases are currently under isolation in public and private care centres.

“1,400 active cases in communities have yet to turn up for admission in COVID-19 Lagos care centres.”

Source The Punch

Posted 11/08/2020 04:06:05 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
FG seeks more funds, denies printing money to...

Enugu Shooting: Ekweremadu demands probe, condoles with victims’...

Deeper Life school suspends principal over ‘child molestation’...

Na’Abba’s DSS invitation not linked to utterances against...

Man sentenced to death for killing father over...

Nine dead, 54 vehicles burnt in Lagos tanker...

Bandits kill 19, set community ablaze in Katsina...

UK offers to work with Nigeria to end...

How NHSS tactical team burnt Ejiofor’s PA, falsely...

I rejoined PDP because of Ugwuanyi's good works,...

El-Zakzaky arrives in India

Buhari blames Police, community leaders for insecurity in...

 

Latest News Violence, protests rock APC congresses, factions battle in states Senator Anyanwu emerges South East PDP Consensus candidate for Secretary Policemen allegedly used PoS to extort N25,000, assault passengers We've no business with you, don’t drag us into your Anambra election – IPOB warns INEC NAF denies paying N20m to avoid shooting down Buhari’s plane APC Congress: Three factional chairmen emerge in Akwa Ibom Former US President Bill Clinton released from hospital after treatment for infection Man, 25, kills 50-year-old rival he caught in lover’s room Police detain four officers over viral extortion video ‘We begged women to urinate for us to drink to stay alive’ FIRS to spend N2.8bn on uniforms, N550m on meals I’ll chew you raw if you talk against Oyedepo where I am – Pastor Ibiyeomie

 

Most Read Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (187,904 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (187,904 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (187,904 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (187,903 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (187,901 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (187,899 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (187,898 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (187,769 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (183,641 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (182,994 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (146,739 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (145,099 views)

 

 

SECTIONS EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (6,942) FAITH (158) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (131) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (49) ENTERTAINMENT (51) INTERNATIONAL (178) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (38)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.