Court sentences Chibok girls’ abductor 15 years imprisonment

By Editor on 13/02/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 843

The Chibokgirls
The Chibokgirls

The Federal High Court sitting in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, on Monday sentenced 35-year-old Haruna Yahaya for terrorism offences.

The convict, whose left arm and left leg are crippled, was convicted for being a member of the proscribed Boko Haram terrorist group and participating in the abduction of over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, in 2014.

He was said to have participated in the group’s attacks in Chibok, Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State and Gabsuri town in the Damboa Local Government of the state.

Yahaya had on Monday pleaded guilty to the two counts preferred against him by the Federal Government but pleaded for mercy, saying he was forcefully conscripted into the terrorist group.

But the judge who sat in one of the four special courts established by the Federal High Court to fast track the trial of over 1,000 suspects said the court was “not fooled” by Yahaya’s story.

The court noted the convict was “using the misfortune of his handicap to draw sympathy”.

The judge, therefore, ruled that the 15 years sentence passed on the convict who had been in detention since 2015 would commence counting from Monday.

Posted 13/02/2018 12:37:11 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Nigeria can pay N30,000 minimum wage, says Oshiomhole...

INEC confirms 84.5m voters for 2019 elections

Fulani herdsmen kidnap Methodist priest, two others in...

Killings: FG to rehabilitate destroyed Communities with N10bn...

Lady pays SARS bribe electronically, sends details to...

2019: There’re desperate attempts to sack me as...

World Cup: Nigeria will get to semi-finals, magical...

2019: Atiku Support Group launches House2House campaign

Reconvene immediately, Presidency begs National Assembly

We’ll flush out undisciplined, incompetent policemen, says Smith,...

Boko Haram ambush Army commanding officer’s convoy, kills...

Easter: Buhari urges political actors, stakeholders to work...

 

Latest News Postponement: Presidency speaks on alleged plans by Buhari to remove INEC chairman Customs officer allegedly kills passenger over N5,000 bribe Woman allegedly defrauds church of N110m, nabbed APC national caucus meets on Monday, ahead of rescheduled elections Election Postponement: INEC Chairman has many questions to answer --ABC Nwosu TI doubts safety, integrity of electoral materials El-Rufai lied over killing of 66 Kaduna residents — CAN, NEMA INEC slams door on PVC collection, campaigns before Feb 23 Nigerians ‘ll vote out Buhari on February 23, despite election postponement – Wike Troops kill 37 bandits, lose 6 soldiers in Zamfara NASS postpones resumption Gunmen kill APC chieftain in Benue

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,608 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (6,400 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (6,100 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,593 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,471 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,554 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (4,449 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (4,374 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (4,325 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (4,317 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (4,283 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (4,202 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (826) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (412) SOCIETY (105) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (240) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (20) ENTERTAINMENT (8) INTERNATIONAL (31) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands