Army confirms Lagos govt invitation to enforce curfew at Lekki Toll Gate

By AdvocateNews on 28/10/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,858


The 81 Division of the Nigerian Army has just clarified matters, saying the soldiers came out to Lekki Toll Plaza last week Tuesday where some unarmed protesters were shot and killed, at the invitation of the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu-led government of Lagos.

Major Osona Olaniyi, spokesman of the Division said the soldiers came out to enforce the curfew

But Olaniyi denied reports that soldiers shot at unarmed civilians, the #EndSARS protesters who assembled at the Lekki Toll Plaza.

He also denied that the army committed any massacre.

“The attention of headquarters of 81 Division Nigerian Army has been drarwn to a viral video on social media in which it was alleged that civilian protesters were massacred by soldiers at Lekki Toll Plaza.

“This allegation is untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country. At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian army open fire on any civilian.

“From the onset of the ENDSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army Lagos were involved.

“However the decision to call in the military was taken by the Lagos State Government (LASG) after a 24 hours curfew was imposed.

“This was as a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away.

“The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that LASG requested for the military to intervene in order to restore normalcy.”

“The intervention of the military followed all laid down procedures for internal security operations and all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement (ROE) for internal security operations and

“Finally the Headquarters of 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates that the Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing evidence to attest to this fact.

“This allegation is the handiwork of mischief makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army. The general public is hereby enjoined to discountenance this allegation as there is no iota of truth therein.”

Sanwo-Olu in earlier statements had claimed he did not invite the soldiers and does not even understand their command structure, to be able to do so.

#EndSARS protesters posted video images, showing soldiers shooting at the Toll Gate Plaza.

DJ Switch who was there claimed that she counted 15 bodies, carried away by the soldiers.

The Lagos Government has set a judicial panel to get to the root of what happened at the Plaza on 20 October, along with probing cases of past police brutality.

Posted 28/10/2020 09:10:09 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Why insecurity is worsening - Buhari

Gov. Diri committed to socio-economic development of Bayelsa...

Buhari drops Ararume as NNPC Board Chairman, replaces...

Ebonyi Gov’s aides, Council chair, lawmaker, others arrested...

2023: PDP to cede Presidency to North, Chairmanship...

Insecurity: Don’t ignore Obasanjo’s Islamisation, Fulanisation allegations –...

Panel probes Magu’s link to Bureau De Change,...

Chime not owner of Enugu Mall – Spar...

Ogun Gov hails Laycon over BBNaija victory

FG says COVID-19 won’t go soon, rules out...

Coronavirus: 67 Catholic priests die in Italy

BBNaija should be banned, those watching show are...

 

Latest News I will kill you if you disrespect Oyedepo, Ibiyeomie warns Gunmen attack passenger Bus in Kwara 2023: Return secretariat to PDP, Atiku advises Umahi Fayemi’s Ex-SSG emerges Ekiti APC Governorship Candidate Man arrested for advertising fake eggs on social media Ikoyi Building Collapse: All victims died before rescue operations began – LASEMA NIPOST launches banking platform, e-debit card Randy man, 37, bags life imprisonment for raping 13-year-old girl sent on errand Mortuary for kidnapped victims uncovered in Rivers State Tension as soldier kills revenue agent at Onitsha bridgehead Man impregnates 14-year-old daughter in Bayelsa Six buried alive in Cross River

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (266,423 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (266,421 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (266,421 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (266,421 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (266,421 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (266,421 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (266,419 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (266,419 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (259,282 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (258,130 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (200,097 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (198,490 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (159) EDITORIAL (21) NEWS (7,901) POLITICS (499) SOCIETY (133) SPORTS (62) BUSINESS (376) HEALTH (61) EDUCATION (51) ENTERTAINMENT (58) INTERNATIONAL (188) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (42)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.