Court orders Ebonyi to reopen Crushed Rock quarry site

By AdvocateNews on 23/12/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 502


The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, ordered the Ebonyi Government to reopen the quarry site of Crushed Rock Industries Limited, which was shut down recently.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed gave the order while delivering judgment in a suit filed by lawyer to the mining firm, Chief Mike Ozekhome, SAN.

Justice Mohammed also awarded N10 million damages against the state government.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the over 40-year-old company had, on April 23, in its suit marked, FHC/ABJ/CS/451/2020, sued the Ebonyi Government for an alleged illegal shutdown of its quarry site.

It alleged that its quarry site located at Ishiagu in Ebonyi was shut by the state government for non-payment of exorbitant fees.

It urged the court to hold that the state government lacked the right to control mining activities after it had been duly licensed by the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development.

Joined as defendants in the suit are the Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development, Mining Cadastre Office, Ebonyi Government, Attorney General of Ebonyi; Edwin Onwe, who is the Special Assistant to the Governor on Solid Minerals, and the state’s Commissioner for Solid Minerals Development as 1st to 6th defendants respectively.

The plaintiff sought among others, a declaration that it is only the 1st and 2nd defendants that had the sole right and responsibility to demand for royalties and duties from the plaintiff, to the exclusion of any other agencies and level of government in Nigeria, including the 3rd to 6th defendants.

In his judgment, Justice Mohammed dismissed the preliminary objection filed against the suit by the Ebonyi Government and affirmed its jurisdiction to hear the suit.

On the substantive suit, the court in upholding the plaintiff’s case, held that it was only the Federal Government as provided in Section 251 of the Constitution that could take any action on issues relating to mining in Nigeria.

The judge cited the Mining Act, 2007, which made specific provisions on how an erring mining holder should be punished.

The court ordered that the quarry site of the plaintiff be immediately reopened and its workers be allowed access and to conduct their business.

Posted 23/12/2020 12:35:50 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
#EndSARS: Atiku cautions Buhari against use of force...

Anambra Guber: INEC excludes PDP, Soludo, clears APC’s...

We were embarrassed in Jerusalem, says Clergy

Nigeria has collapsed under APC – Wike

I still buy second-hand clothes- Omawumi declares

2019: I’m not against support for Buhari. --Ayogu...

Gani Adams reveals those who attacked Igboho’s house...

US adds Nigeria to religious freedom blacklist

US opposes Onnoghen's suspension

FG lifts ban on registration of new SIMs...

PDP suspends Abuja rally over denial of access...

Fani-Kayode faults Buhari

 

Latest News 2023: Nigeria will have two Presidents if north insists on retaining power — Igbo youths Over 150 bandit groups operating in various forests in the North, says Katsina gov 50 villagers massacred, 254 houses, 7 churches destroyed in Kaduna – Paramount ruler cries out Bandits’ kingpins, 26 others ‘massacred’ as military sustains air raid in Zamfara Money ritual: Amotekun arrests three for beheading septuagenarian Our boss deploys us in Jos to kill during religious crisis – Suspected kidnapper You can’t implement anti-open grazing law, el–Rufai tells southern govs EFCC arrests 30 cybercrime suspects at Kwara State University Ethiopian Airlines to resume flights to Enugu October 1 I don’t know how much senators earn ...I never received salary —Okorocha Enugu monarch suspended over demolition of blind man’s building 2023: Southern group slams NEF, says ‘Nigeria not for North alone’

 

Most Read I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (171,185 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (169,521 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (169,518 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (169,517 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (169,517 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (169,517 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (169,516 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (169,437 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (166,457 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (165,985 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (136,161 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (134,624 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (156) EDITORIAL (17) NEWS (6,674) POLITICS (493) SOCIETY (129) SPORTS (51) BUSINESS (365) HEALTH (57) EDUCATION (48) ENTERTAINMENT (49) INTERNATIONAL (176) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (37)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.