Nigeria extends ban on flights from Turkey, Brazil, India, South Africa

By AdvocateNews on 30/06/2021

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 572


The Presidential Steering Committee (PSC) on COVID-19 has extended the ban on flights from Brazil, Turkey and India by four weeks.

South Africa has been added to the list.

Speaking at the national briefing in Abuja, the Chairman, PSC on COVID-19, Mr Boss Mustapha, said “a few weeks ago, we announced additional measures to be met by passengers arriving from Brazil, Turkey and India.

”This action was due to the prevalence of variants of concern and the dangers associated with importation of the such virulent strain.

In May 2021, the PSC banned incoming flights from Brazil, India and Turkey, noting that anyone who had been in those three countries within 14 days of their intended arrival date in Nigeria would be barred from entering the country.

According to Mustapha, the PSC has been reviewing these restrictions and is of the opinion that they should remain for another four weeks before it is further reviewed.

”South Africa has, however, been added to this category once more.”

Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), disclosed that South Africa, Zambia, Rwanda, Namibia and Uganda were being monitored as the COVID-19 cases were increasing there.

“In addition to these three countries, the PSC has also shifted its focus on some African countries.

”South Africa, Zambia, Rwanda, Namibia and Uganda fall in this category.

“South Africa for example, recorded over 100,000 cases in the last one week while 20,000 was recorded in the last 24 hours.

”The four major variants of concern are now classified as Alpha (UK), Beta (SA); Gamma (Brazil) and Delta (India).

”The Delta variant which has wreaked devastating havoc, is not yet found in Nigeria hence the need to tighten our borders and be more vigilant,” the SGF said.

He said that about six months ago, following the violation of the COVID-19 protocols by some inbound passengers to Nigeria, their travel documents were barred for a period of six months.

“We have received several appeals from those affected while we counselled on the importance of compliance with rules and regulations.

”The six-month period of ban for the first batch of 100 is almost complete and we use this opportunity to reassure Nigerians that sanctions will be imposed on violators of measures put in place to protect them and safeguard our nation.

”For over six months, federal government employees on GL 12 and below have been observing work-from-home instructions.

”This restriction remains in place until further notice in order to avert a third wave,” Mustapha added.

Posted 30/06/2021 06:26:58 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Abduction in schools: NUT threatens strike in affected...

BREAKING: Gambo Jimeta, ex-Nigeria Police IG is dead...

SEEDS OF DESTINY 29 JUNE, 2021 -

#EndSARS: 520 suspects arrested for various offences

All you need to know about Peter Obi,...

Widowhood won’t give you automatic ticket in APGA,...

Yuletide: Enugu govt offers free Enugu-Owerri airport shuttle...

Police, power sector most corrupt in Nigeria –...

Obaseki’s victory has marked an end to godfatherism...

Another JAMB wonder: N23m scratch card ‘burnt’ in...

WHEN A GOVERNMENT FAILS TO PROTECT ITS CITIZENS...

Mbaka complies with Bishop’s order, shuts Adoration Ministry...

 

Latest News Senate probes alleged secret withdrawal of N151.3bn from Federation Account Kanu orders dry fasting as October 21 trial approaches Tension in Ebonyi as Umahi seals off hotel hosting PDP temporal office ahead of congress Calabar explosion: It is routine exercise, no cause for panic — Army Anambra: IGP’s deployment of 34,000 officers, 3 helicopters is preparation for war not election Buhari congratulates newly elected NUJ Executives SEEDS OF DESTINY 15 OCTOBER 2021 —THE POWER TO GET WEALTH Ayu’s emergence as chair: North gets PDP’s nod to contest 2023 Presidency Banks get deadline on dead customers’ BVN Minister accuses former Nigerian president’s daughter of forging documents to claim land Kaduna residents lament suspension of firewood, charcoal for cooking FG declares Tuesday public holiday to mark Eidul-Mawlid

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (187,204 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (187,193 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (187,192 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (187,191 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (187,191 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (187,190 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (187,190 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (187,047 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (182,960 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (182,359 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (146,338 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (144,730 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (157) EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (6,930) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (131) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (49) INTERNATIONAL (177) ENTERTAINMENT (51) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (38)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.