Nigerian-born footballer shot dead after killing neighbour in UK —Police

By AdvocateNews on 25/07/2021

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,820

Odichukumma Kelvin Igweani
Odichukumma Kelvin Igweani

Police in the United Kingdom have said that a Nigerian-born footballer, Odichukumma Kelvin Igweani, was gunned down after killing a neighbour.

UK-based newspapers, DailyMail and TheSUNquoted the police as alleging that the 24-year-old Nigerian also held a toddler captive.

The police said Richard Woodcock, a 38-year-old council highways officer had raced to help after hearing screams during a domestic dispute at the first-floor property when he was killed by the footballer.

The security agency also claimed that Woodcock’s body was found on the floor of Igweani’s flat in Milton Keynes, Bucks.

David Bannister from The Independent Office for Police Conduct told Milton Keynes Coroner’s Court that the young footballer was shot four times and a taser was also discharged.

Igweani, known as Kelvin, was pronounced dead at the scene and Mr Woodcock died of head injuries.

“The toddler remains in a life-threatening condition in hospital,” the IOPC said today.

Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Blaik told a linked inquest into both deaths that officers had been called by neighbours to an “ongoing disturbance” at about 9.40 am on Saturday, June 26.

He said, “Neighbours reported hearing a female screaming and shouting for help. A female and young child managed to flee the address prior to police arrival.

“Richard Woodcock from the neighbouring property had gone to the address to help save a young boy as it was believed he was still in the property and at risk of significant harm.”

He added: “Having had to force entry, the officers immediately saw a deceased male, who has now been identified as Richard Woodcock, on the floor and were also aware of a distressed young child within the address.”

DCI Blaik told the brief hearing, attended by Richard’s widow and family members: “As entry was gained another male, now known to be Kelvin Igweani, immediately became aggressive towards the officers.

“A Taser was discharged but this was ineffective, and Igweani barricaded himself within the main bedroom.

“A child could be heard crying along with sounds of an ongoing assault. Entry was gained to the bedroom at which point a police firearm was discharged.

“Police officers and ambulance staff gave immediate first aid but Kelvin Igweani was declared deceased at 10.33hrs.”

A postmortem examination performed by Dr Lockyer showed that Mr Woodcock died from traumatic head injuries. DCI Blaik added that Kelvin Igweani was suspected of his murder and the serious assault of the young male child within the address.

“It is understood that Kelvin’s mental health had been deteriorating in the weeks preceding this incident,” he said.

The sportsman’s devastated parents were in court, accompanied by a lawyer, to hear how their son was slain by officers in his home in Milton Keynes, Bucks, on Saturday morning.

Mr Bannister told how police had been called to a “domestic incident” at about 9.40am on June 26 at a block of flats in Denmead, Two Mile Ash, on the outskirts of the town.

He said, “Thames valley Police received a 999 call after reports of a domestic incident. A double armed auto response was deployed to the scene.

“On their way they were informed that another male was injured and a child was at risk.

“Officers forced entry and they immediately came across a deceased male. They were confronted by Mr Igweani. A taser was deployed but it was ineffective.

“Mr Igweani moved into another room and closed the door. He was in the room with a young child. Officers believed Mr igweani was harming the child and forced entry.

“One officer fired four shots at him and a taser was also discharged. He was pronounced dead at 10.39.”

Igweani died from gunshot wounds to the chest. His body was formally identified by his family.

In a statement, his family said, “We have always been so proud of Richard and everything that he has achieved in life.

“We are devastated that Richard has been taken from us in such circumstances but we are also so immensely proud of the sacrifice that he has made to try and save a little boy’s life.

“His actions on Saturday morning were the type of man he was and that is how we would like him remembered.

“A lot of people loved Richard, probably more than he ever realised, and he will be a huge loss to all of his friends, family and work colleagues.”

His wife, who has not been named, said, “Richard, it has been a blessing to share my life with you, my dearest friend, my biggest love, my soul mate. My kind, generous, funny, clever, cheeky husband.

“Thank you for loving me and being the best father to our children. I’ll love you and cherish our time together forever.”

Posted 25/07/2021 06:53:55 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Man on arraignment for alleged rape of minor...

Gunmen attack Osinbajo’s convoy in Ilorin

Osun rerun: I’ll retrieve my stolen mandate at...

Man jailed for life for raping daughter

South-East governors seek probe of alleged assassination attempt...

Gunmen kill APC chieftain in Benue

BREAKING: Retired Police AIG Christopher Dega killed by...

EFCC seizes Onyema’s Passport over $44.9m US indictment...

Buhari exempts journalists, others from sit-at-home order

Obaseki condemns attack on #ENDSARS protesters in Benin,...

Sen. Utazi’s community, Nkpologu, pays Thank-you visit to...

Govs rooting for state police inviting anarchy –IGP...

 

Latest News EFCC arraigns Cecilia Osipitan for N6bn PHCN insurance benefit fraud Enugu govt extends verification of status of monetized quarters Reconsider 1989 Constitution, it has solutions to crisis of governance, Falana tells Senate Anambra 2021: Accord Party’s Chairman, guber candidate -Maduka debunk defection of running mate Seven university professors, 65 others elevated to SAN How female graduate awaiting NYSC call-up was lured, killed Anambra 2021: Supreme Court declares Ozigbo authentic PDP candidate Enugu fire Service releases emergency call lines, gets two additional water tankers Supreme Court drops SAN designate 24 hours after endorsement FG blames Nnamdi Kanu for murder of Akunyili’s husband, Gulak, 184 others ESCET receives Ethics Compliance Award Monarch’s palace razed in Imo

 

Most Read Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (191,323 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (191,323 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (191,323 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (191,323 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (191,323 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (191,320 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (191,316 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (191,155 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (186,806 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (186,083 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (148,570 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (146,877 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (6,989) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (131) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (49) ENTERTAINMENT (51) INTERNATIONAL (178) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (39)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.