Soldiers said they weren’t ordered to stop invaders from attacking Plateau communities – Monarch

By AdvocateNews on 08/08/2021

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 988


The paramount ruler of Irigwe ethnic nationality in Plateau State, His Royal Highness, The Bra Ngwe Irigwe, Rt Rev Ronku Aka, has lamented the tragedy that befell his people in the Bassa Local Government Area following the recent invasion of their communities by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen.

According to the monarch, some security operatives who were deployed in the communities during the attacks told the residents they had no instruction to repel the invaders.

The monarch stated this when the President of the Para-Mallam Peace Foundation, Rev Gideon Para-Mallam, led other officials of the non-governmental  organisation on a sympathy visit to  his palace in Miango.

The group had earlier taken relief materials to internally displaced persons on Friday

The traditional ruler said the destruction that took place in his kingdom had further exposed the handicap of the governors and the council chairmen as chief security officers in their respective areas of jurisdiction in the country. 

Aku said, “I don’t blame the local government chairman in Bassa or the governor of the state over the calamity that has befallen my people.

“At peace meetings, the governor will give order but the security men will go and do a different thing.

“During the recent attacks in my communities, the soldiers and other security operatives were around. As the invaders were carrying out the attacks in Jebu Miango and advancing to other communities we expected them to confront the invaders and stop the destruction going on but that did not happen.

“When I enquired what was happening, some soldiers cried to me that they did not receive the order to repel the attackers on the communities.

“Some of them who expressed frustration over the situation wondered the essence of holding guns which they could not use and left the scene while the attackers continued with their destruction in the communities.

“If the security agents were deployed and allowed to do their job, may be, the attackers would not have succeeded with their evil plans and my people would not be suffering what they are experiencing at the moment.

“But we don’t want more deaths in the communities. I have told my people not to retaliate what was done to them but we need justice going forward.”

The President, Gideon & Funmi Para-Mallam Peace Foundation, Para-Mallam, while condemning the incident, said the violence in the communities must not be allowed to continue.

He called on the government to double its efforts towards protecting citizens’ lives and property.

Gunmen last week invaded over 10 communities in the Bassa Local Government Area and set over 400 houses on fire.

Over 40 people were said to have been killed during the attacks which also left several people injured with 22,000 others displaced. – Punch.

Posted 08/08/2021 07:40:40 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
Aisha Buhari directs staff to vacate office until...

Popular Nigerian singer, Slim Joe, is dead

#EndSARS: Activists unfold plan for procession over non-implementation...

Nigeria heading towards recession, says Finance Minister

Worshippers killed, many missing as gunmen attack two...

Stray bullet kills Soldier, civilian at Military formation...

#EndSARS: Police respected Nigerians, social media escalated protest...

Taraba State Commissioner of Police, David Akinremi, on...

Mbaka apologises to Obi, begs for forgiveness

Buhari constitutes first EFCC board in six years...

Masquerades beat, injure two Catholic priests in Enugu...

Boko Haram attacks Borno governor’s convoy

 

Latest News Yahaya Bello orders closure of brothels, bans use of face masks in Kogi ‘US kills terrorists, Nigeria pampers them’ - Femi Fani-Kayode Residents flee as unknown gunmen kill 7 in Imo Suspect who beat Nigerian to death in Italy arrested 2023: Lalong, Oshiomhole lead APC’s campaign team Bandits: We’ll continue to fight for justice – Southern Kaduna 2023: Obi support group slams Tinubu for wishing Peter Obi and supporters dead, tells INEC to call him to order Terror fears force NRC to suspend Lagos-Kano, Ajaokuta train services FG purchases N1.4bn vehicles for Niger Republic, justifies action NBC fines DSTV, TSTV, NTA, Trust TV N20m over Documentary on Banditry ...Says fines must be paid in 27 days Gunmen kidnap gold miner in Osun, demand N100m ransom NASS vs Buhari: Uncertainty as Buhari faces impeachment threat in last days

 

Most Read Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (427,918 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (427,918 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (427,918 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (427,917 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (427,917 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (427,917 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (427,917 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (427,914 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (427,911 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (420,030 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (356,318 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (355,253 views)

 

 

SECTIONS NEWS (9,907) FAITH (159) EDITORIAL (25) POLITICS (519) SOCIETY (135) SPORTS (67) BUSINESS (380) HEALTH (63) EDUCATION (53) ENTERTAINMENT (65) INTERNATIONAL (232) TECHNOLOGY (8) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (47)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.