JOHESU: Health workers vow to continue strike

By Editor on 29/05/2018

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 1,284

Buhari
Buhari

The Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) on Monday said it would continue its ongoing nationwide strike until the Federal Government implements certain agreements reached between the two parties on Sept. 30, 2017.

JOHESU disclosed this at a peaceful rally organised by its national body in Abuja, saying it would not be deterred by the court’s injunction compelling its members to return to work.

Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, National Chairman of the union said the rally was aimed at updating members with current developments regarding the ongoing strike, including the recent court order.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the National Industrial Court (NIC) gave an order on May 25, 2018 compelling JOHESU to call off the strike, which began on April 18.

Biobelemoye emphasised that the union had every right to obey or challenge the court order.

“I owe members the responsibility to update them on happenings between us and the government to enable them take decisive position, and whatever they decide is final.

“We call on the government to implement our upward adjustment and other things as contained in the agreement of Sept. 30, 2017.

“No going back on the strike until those things are met,’’ he said.

He noted that since the union embarked on strike on April 18, the federal government had met with the leadership eight times.

He however, described the meetings as one step forward and two steps backward.

He mentioned that the amount of money owed the union is N22.6billion, adding that due to the intervention of the National Salaries Income and Wages Commission, it had been reduced to N16.5 billion.

He said JOHESU’s agreement on the reduction of the entitlement from N22.6 billion to N16. 5 billion was geared toward ensuring lasting solutions to the crisis.

“I urge you to stand up for your right, do not yield to pressure or threat in whatever form by the government.

“Hence, we are not going back to work until they pay us our full entitlement,” he reiterated.

Posted 29/05/2018 06:23:10 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
PDP, CD, Adebanjo, IYC tackle Buhari over comment...

Ngige accuses governors of delaying new minimum wage...

NAFDAC urges FG to establish institute for herbal...

IImmigration Service confirms Sen. Dino Melaye’s arrest

Offa Robbery: Police invitation a mere political game...

Igala people seek own state out of Kogi...

Buhari directs health minister to investigate spread of...

We must flush out Buhari for a secure,...

FG falsified national debt profile to deceive Nigerians...

Onnoghen to drag Buhari to court over suspension...

Enugu IPMAN suspends strike after government’s intervention

COMMENTARY ON IKEOHA FOUNDATION ADULT LITERACY DAY AND...

 

Latest News Polls: Ohanaeze, MASSOB, IPOB, reaffirm support for Atiku/Obi (Full Communique) Our endorsement of Atiku, Obi sacrosanct —Ohanaeze Order on ballot box snatchers: We’ll act according to the law – Army Buhari orders Army, Police, others to kill ballot box snatchers Outrage as Buhari declares death for ballot box snatchers Ballot box: Buhari showing his true colours with death threat – Atiku Enugu East: Court sacks APC Senatorial candidate Postponement: Presidency speaks on alleged plans by Buhari to remove INEC chairman Customs officer allegedly kills passenger over N5,000 bribe Woman allegedly defrauds church of N110m, nabbed APC national caucus meets on Monday, ahead of rescheduled elections Election Postponement: INEC Chairman has many questions to answer --ABC Nwosu

 

Most Read NAFDAC eases processes, cost of registering products for MSMEs (7,647 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (6,477 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (6,174 views) IPOB: ‘We need urgent clarifications on Nnamdi Kanu’s status, whereabouts’, UK Govt tells FG (5,625 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (5,546 views) Ex-governor Adebayo, Keyamo, Arise, others get board appointments (4,583 views) Prince Arthur Eze canvasses support for Buhari, Ugwuanyi (4,475 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (4,447 views) Anambra: INEC releases 37 candidates for Nov poll (4,355 views) Nigeria ripe for Restructuring Now – Nwodo in Chatham House (4,351 views) Buhari has disappointed Nigerians – Arewa Youth Forum (4,325 views) Quit notice: Kaduna Govt obtains bench warrant against Northern youths (4,229 views)

 

SECTIONS NEWS (831) EDITORIAL (6) POLITICS (412) SOCIETY (105) SPORTS (13) BUSINESS (242) HEALTH (16) EDUCATION (20) ENTERTAINMENT (8) INTERNATIONAL (31) TECHNOLOGY (1) COLUMNISTS (0) LETTERS (0) OPINION (10)

 

 

Julius Agwu - Crazy Interview Demands