10 killed as China Quarantine Hotel collapses

By AdvocateNews on 08/03/2020

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 2,110

A boy rescued from the rubble of a collapsed hotel in Quanzhou, China
A boy rescued from the rubble of a collapsed hotel in Quanzhou, China

At least ten people were killed in the collapse of a hotel used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in eastern China, authorities said Sunday.

Rescuers pulled 48 people from the rubble, of whom 38 are still alive, the Ministry of Emergency Management said on social media.

The building in the coastal city of Quanzhou had been repurposed to house people who recently had contact with patients confirmed with COVID-19, the state-run People’s Daily newspaper reported.

The city has recorded 47 cases of the virus.

Video posted online by the ministry’s firefighting department showed rescuers helping children don surgical masks before pulling them from the wreckage of the six-storey Xinjia hotel.

 

A 12-year-old boy told rescuers his mother was still buried in the rubble.

 

“She was next to me just now,” he said in the video. His mother was rescued alive hours later, according to the ministry.

 

Another video released by the ministry showed rescuers squirting water from a bottle into the mouth of a trapped man.

 

Rescuers were also seen spraying disinfectant on each other as part of “strict decontamination” measures between shifts.

 

Collapsed in Seconds

Footage published by local media appears to show the hotel collapsing in seconds, with the building’s facade crumbling to the ground, exposing the structure’s steel frame.

Nine people escaped on their own, the ministry said.

The first floor had been undergoing renovation since before the Lunar New Year holiday, and construction workers called the hotel’s owner minutes before the collapse to report a deformed pillar, authorities said.

The owner has been summoned by police while investigators work to determine whether the renovation or an original structural issue was at fault, according to the ministry.

Fifty-eight people who had recently been in regions hard hit by COVID-19 were being quarantined in the hotel but all had tested negative for the virus, local newspaper Quanzhou Evening News reported Sunday.

More than 800 rescuers and 750 medical staff were deployed for the rescue effort along with 20 ambulances, the ministry said.

China’s National Health Commission said it was sending to Quanzhou 18 medical experts from the nearby cities of Fuzhou and Xiamen.

Building collapses and other deadly construction accidents have typically been blamed on the country’s rapid economic growth, which has led to corner-cutting by builders and the flouting of safety rules.

At least 20 people died in 2016 when a series of crudely-constructed multi-story buildings packed with migrant workers collapsed in the eastern city of Wenzhou.

Another 10 were killed last year in Shanghai after the collapse of a commercial building during renovations.

Posted 08/03/2020 7:20:01 PM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
CoVID-19 Update: Enugu records nine new cases, total...

Abacha loot used to finance social investments –...

Free Igbo youths detained across the country, Ohanaeze...

#ENDSARS: PSC denies threat to sack absentee police...

Anambra Court restrains Ozigbo from parading as PDP...

Former Head of State Gen Abubakar denies link...

Atiku: What PDP intends to do after Supreme...

#EndSARS: Six things Buhari must do to close...

Only justice will unite Nigeria, Says Ekweremadu on...

Hope Uzodima arrested, detained in India

DSS speaks on report it tortured President Buhari’s...

Police promote three CPS to AIG, 8,913 senior...

 

Latest News Umahi confirms killing of five abducted construction workers in Ebonyi COVID-19 Omicron: UK govt puts Nigeria on red list, bans foreign travellers Air Peace begins flight operations into Anambra Airport December 7 BEWARE! NCC warns telecom consumers against falling prey to cyber-criminals 2023 presidency: Igbos will kneel, prostrate, beg – Ezeife How Nigerian government terrorizes citizens of Sabbath Faith, others DSS arrests General Dambazau Man commits suicide in Delta after killing wife Police declare SS3 student wanted for beating teacher to death in Delta Enugu Court jails seven Yahoo boys over cybercrime EFCC arrests three suspects with 1,144 ATM cards at Kano airport Designate Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, MACBAN, FUNAM terrorist organizations — Ortom tells FG

 

Most Read Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (226,859 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (226,858 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (226,856 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (226,855 views) Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (226,854 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (226,854 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (226,853 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (226,853 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (220,330 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (220,079 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (171,139 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (169,440 views)

 

 

SECTIONS EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (7,398) FAITH (158) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (132) SPORTS (58) BUSINESS (370) HEALTH (59) EDUCATION (50) ENTERTAINMENT (55) INTERNATIONAL (183) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (41)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.