Shooting disrupts reunion of freed Zamfara schoolgirls with parents

By AdvocateNews on 04/03/2021

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon

Views: 548


All the 279 Zamfara schoolgirls released by kidnappers this week were on Wednesday reunited with their parents, in an emotional event overshadowed by chaos and shooting by security forces.

According to a AFP reporter who witnessed the handing over,  mobs began throwing stones at officials outside the school in the remote village of Jangebe when the girls were returned after officials’ insisted on a formal handover before parents could leave with their children.

One person was shot in the stomach when security personnel opened fire and was carried away by others in the crowd.

“Four people have been shot dead in the confusion,” Jangebe resident Bello Gidan-Ruwa told AFP by phone after leaving the village.

The tally could not immediately be confirmed with official sources.

The school girls were abducted on Friday last week  from their hostels by gunmen but released them early Tuesday.

Since their release, the students had been in government care in state capital Gusau, receiving medical treatment before being returned to the school to be handed over to their parents.

There were tears and hugs from parents and relations as the girls arrived in buses, but officials and security personnel insisted on ushering the children into the dining hall.

Anxious parents were outraged by officials’ insistence that the girls must be handed over to the local chief of Anka district, Attahiru Ahmad Anka.

“It is infuriating for (officials) to say they had to finish their speeches before handing over our children to us. This is outrageous,” one mother told AFP as she led her daughter away.

“They know the roads are insecure but they didn’t care. If we leave late and are kidnapped with our daughters again, the girls’ rescue will make no sense.”

There was chaos in the hall as parents grabbed their children and stormed out to the consternation of the officials.

Shooting by the security forces began when the crowd began pelting a convoy carrying regional parliament speaker Nasiru Mu’azu Magarya with stones as it tried to leave the village.

Despite the chaos, the girls and parents were happy for their release.

“I’m extremely happy to have been rescued from our captors,” Aisha Jamilu, a student, told AFP.

“I thank God for saving us from them. It was a horrifying experience I will never forget.”

She added that she would leave up to her parents the question of whether to resume her studies and run the risk of a second kidnapping.

“Even if I don’t go back to the same school I can be transferred to another one,” Jamilu said.

Muhammad Sani, father to two of the girls, said he was “delighted” to see his daughters again.

“I can’t say or express how happy I’m. I didn’t cry when the girls were kidnapped but I couldn’t hold my tears when I saw them today. They were tears of joy.”

 

Posted 04/03/2021 04:21:16 AM

 

Share on facebook Yahoo mail icon Gmail icon


 

You may also like...
384 out of 802 returnees from Saudi Arabia...

What you need to succeed in business –...

Obi advises El Rufai to shun hate speeches...

IPOB shifts sit-at-home to May 31

Gowon pushes for rotational president

Why Buhari sacked 35 Osinbajo’s aides –Presidency

Nigeria in safe, competent hands under Buhari –...

Prevail on Buhari to produce Kanu, IPOB tells...

Atiku speaks on success of PDP rally in...

FG sacks 2 PSPs for delay in Cash...

Three demonstration flights land at new Anambra Aiport...

INSECURITY: FG orders telecoms to shutdown network for...

 

Latest News Insecurity: Royal Navy Warship arrives in Lagos IPOB threatens a week sit-at-home from November 4 if Kanu is not released Police forced me to borrow N35,000 from online platform to pay bribe – Singer Herdsmen kidnap Enugu fashion designer, demand N2m ramsom Man puts himself up for sale for N20m in Kano Oronsaye report: FG budgets N900bn for agencies recommended for scrapping EFCC arraigns Cecilia Osipitan for N6bn PHCN insurance benefit fraud Enugu govt extends verification of status of monetized quarters Reconsider 1989 Constitution, it has solutions to crisis of governance, Falana tells Senate Anambra 2021: Accord Party’s Chairman, guber candidate -Maduka debunk defection of running mate Two prospective NYSC Corp members heading to camp abducted by bandits Amechi Awkunanaw Community asks ex-President General, John Egbo, to render accounts of his tenure

 

Most Read Ex-Heads of State will protect Jonathan from persecution —Kukah (191,420 views) FG sends new directive to banks, schools as Buhari extends lockdown by four weeks (191,409 views) Fleeing ex-DG Imo Broadcasting Corporation who stabbed wife to death arrested (191,408 views) Ebonyi bans embalming of corpses in homes (191,405 views) Ugwuanyi commends FG’s siting of ICT University in Enugu (191,404 views) Sickle cell support group seeks government intervention (191,404 views) I’ve no Coronavirus, govt wants to kill me – Anambra Index case (191,404 views) Full Text of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s 2016 Budget Speech (191,254 views) HUSHPUPPI: CRIMINALS HAVE NO TRIBE. THEY SHAME ALL OF US... (186,870 views) ASUU strike: Senate intervention ends in deadlock (186,175 views) All you need to know about Peter Obi, PDP VP Candidate (148,625 views) DEMOCRACY DAY: President Muhammadu Buhari’s full speech (146,939 views)

 

 

SECTIONS FAITH (158) EDITORIAL (18) NEWS (6,997) POLITICS (495) SOCIETY (132) SPORTS (53) BUSINESS (367) HEALTH (58) EDUCATION (49) INTERNATIONAL (178) ENTERTAINMENT (51) TECHNOLOGY (6) COLUMNISTS (57) LETTERS (4) OPINION (39)

 

 


There are no video entries posted yet.